WHY WONT MY FUEL PUMP WORK

10

Asked by JAYYORK Apr 10, 2018 at 05:08 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet S-10

I bought a new fuel pump for my 1989 S10 pickup 2.5L and it wont kick on.i
checked the volts on the pump and at the plug while a friend bumped the
starter and its over 12 volts.i replaced the fuel relay and checked the fuse in
the cab at the fuse box and its good.I took the pump to my battery and
hooked up two jumper wires and it kicks on.im confused and
frustrated.someone please help

710

check the oil pressure switch. this is used in fuel system so no oil pressure no fuel flow. i have seen this 3 times on gm vehicles

10

vicman would that keep the fuel pump from kicking on?it only kicks on whenn i run a jumper wire from the battery.the weird thing is i had just filled my truck up with gas and i was about home when i noticed my fuel gauge was messed up.for some reason it was showing wayyyy past full.then like a mile after that it just died.just like i turned the key off.it didnt buck or sputter

26,975

sounds like a sending unit problem , did you check the ground wit a multi tester ? maybe autoozoo sold you a piece of crap

10

is the sending unit the thing thats in the tank beside the fuel pump and is it what sends how much fuel you have in the tank to the fuel gauge?it has a couple rusty places on it.i did check the volts with a meter but wandering if it is possed to show 12 volts with just the key on or do you have to bump the starter?also i do thank you for trying to help me

26,975

right , but you have a new one so it should be working correctly , when you hit the key the pump primes the system and shuts off when pressure is reached , once the car starts there will be the 14+ volts , far as I know , your experience may differ

10

then i wander why its not kicking on when i hit the key.ive been testing it and trying to get the fuel pump to work outside of the tank.that shouldnt matter,should it?it kicks on when i take the pump to my battery and hook a couple jumpers to it

26,975

then I guess it's not getting power , who knows what else is involved with that circuit , a relay , oil sending unit , worn wire . You shouldn't cob it with a hot wire ,, it's usually best to run things as they were designed . You'll learn something in the end .

10

ya i was just trying to narrow down where the problem might be.not running it that way