WHY IS MY 1986 CHEVY SUBURBAN HEATING UP, ESPECIALLY WHEN I TURN IT OFF. AFTER A GOOD DRIVE , WHEN I TURN IT OFF I CAN SEE THE EXTEDRNAL GAGE GOING UP TO 250' + THEN MY STARTER FREEZES AND IM NOT ABL

Asked by Apr 01, 2013 at 12:26 AM about the 1986 Chevrolet Suburban

MY 1986 CHEVY SUBURBAN HEATS UP WHILE IM DRIVING=210' BUT IN TRAFFIC 230. WHEN I PARK =250+

8,415

First, change the thermostat, which is an easy job. While you are at it, if the hoses are more than 2 years old, change them. Have the cooling system flushed and refilled. If the water pump is very old, I would put a new one on. Water pumps are not expensive, and with patience, are a fairly easy do it yourself fix. I would also check the timing, and more importantly, the timing chain. The chain could be stretched, effectively putting the valves out of sync with the crank.

OK I WILL CHECK ALL OF THE ABOVE, THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HEAR ANYTHING ABOUT A TIMING CHAIN....THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY.

60

Check thermostat take it out seeif it makes a difference . Spray water on your rad fins see if it all evaporates if no flush it. Mame5 sure you have antifreeze in it and not just water. Make sure no water is coming out the vent hole on the water pump.

92,785

As it is an 86 check your radiator fins and make sure they are clean and not plugged up by road dirt, bugs, straw, grass stuff like that as they can stop the air flow through the radiator. If the fins are clear have the radiator flow tested it might be plugged internally and need a "rod out" or a replacement radiator. As far as you starter overheat, make sure your cables are good and you might consider installing a starter heat shield, they are at most parts stores.

66,015

If your timing chain is worn your ignition timing will be retarded (late). Check the ignition timing with a timing light. HTH. -Jim