1979 Corvette questions

10

Asked by Oct 09, 2007 at 08:19 PM about the 1979 Chevrolet Corvette

I have found a 1979 Chevy corvette for $7000. It is is pretty good condition. I went to look at the car and it had a cracked oil pan, the drivers door lever dosnt work, and the battery was dead. It started right up after we jumped it. I was wanting some information on what you think.

705

All depends on that engine, you say cracked oil pan? I wonder what else in there could be broken? How did it sound when it was running? The drivers door is a easy fix. But I would be more worried about the engine. Check under the frame for rust.

10

I dont know very much about corvettes. But it sounded ok. It didnt sound like a brand new engine when it was ideling, but what little i know that is normal. It is a 350 engine. The guy said that a bolt broke off of something and hit the pan. It is in such a place and on a angle so that the oil didnt run out. It might have been the oil burning, but there was smoke comeing out of the area between the body and he back right tire. I also didnt see any rust

705

Did the bolt break off the car? Or was this from another vechicle? It also depends if the car is matching numbers (L82) and is a manual will make it worth more. It all depends on if you want an original or is this car going to be something you plan to modify down the road. If there is no rust it may be OK, but I would have a body man look at it to see if it has been in any accidents prior.

45,575

I agree with Krez, spend more time thinking about this and investigating. A cracked oil pan from a bolt breaking off and hitting the pan = weird excuse for this problem.

705

I would really check it out. Maybe find someone that knows more about the C3 locally and take him/her with you to do a inspection. I would hate to have you buy the car and have to throw tons of money at it. It's a Corvette and parts can be expensive not mentioning labor.

10

Are 79 vettes very hard to find and what is the average price for them? Because if they arent very hard to find and they dont cost that much i might just try to find another one

705

No they should be plentiful. Production number was 53,807 units total for that year. Look for optional engines and four speed trans. Good Luck Elfbow

425

Use those defects as bargaining chips if you really want the Vette. Oil pans are not very expensive or hard to replace, nor are door handles. Remember every purchase is a business transaction--negotiate....

16,555

1979 Corvettes right now arfe from $8,000 to $25,000 (asking price). With engine damage, I'd say $5,000 is a fair taking price. You will have to pull the engine and have it gone through. If it is median to high mileage, I'd consider a crate engine which will be nearly $10,000 after all the dust blows away. There are better bargains out there. Think how much you'd have to put into the car to fix it, then add it to the price you are willing to pay and you will locate a low mileage 79 Corvette that looks pristine and runs as such. Don't buy it due to the motor. It it was damaged, what else was abused?