Have a 1981 toyota corolla station wagon and my brake lights wont turn on.

Asked by Dec 02, 2014 at 12:39 AM about the 1981 Toyota Corolla

Hi i have a 1981 toyota corolla  and my brake lights just went out today and i dont know
what to do, they just wont turn on when i hit the brakes

38,275

Check your fuses first. Then if all looks well, remove the lenses and check the bulbs. If bulbs look good, have someone push on the brake and test the sockets for power. If no power in the sockets, start checking for broken wires.Especially grounds. If no broken wires, move to the dash and check the brake pedal switch for power. It will be located under the dash where your pedal travels upward. If your model has brake relays, you may want to replace them as well.

835

Above answer is great. Usually check your owners manual for brake light fuse or relay locations. You can often find parts at NAPA, ask for a discount from AAA if you have a membership. You may even have a spare fuse in your fuse box, that you can replace a broken fuse with, just be sure to use a fuse of the same rating as recommended, not one with a higher rating.