how many different styles of water pumps were built for 1965 corvette, 327/350 hp? having trouble with information from a classic car mechanic.

Asked by Oct 13, 2015 at 07:55 AM about the 1965 Chevrolet Corvette

We recently took our 1965 corvette to a classic car mechanic.  They did an initial inspection to let us know what they thought was going on. We noticed it was rough idle, smoked and more on the rough handling side.  We got the car back after 1 year and the car runs worse then it did when we took it in.  The gauges jump all over the place, the oil pressure drops down to 0 then jumps back up, a vibration in the steering, still rough idle, still smokes!!  They claim they couldn't find the "correct" water pump for 65 vette.  HELP!!!

Kelly Mayo

I guess you need to find another "classic car mechanic"

That is easier said than done, We live in a rural community. This company is located in OH, almost 3 hours away! We drove the car to them but what we got back, the car is in worse shape than we started. Very discouraging!!

John Carson

Ecklder has water pumps as do other on line shopping parts places that are good and honest. About $85 to $125 you can have a 326 Corvette water pump shipped to you. go on line. The other issues may be a carburetor, or when was the engine rebuilt? How many miles is on the engine and is it original and never been touched? You may have worn rings. The plugs and wires may need to be looked at along with the distributor. Make sure they are good and also the coil. Take it to a good Chevy mechanic that understands old cars. He must have gray hair and be at least 60 years old to really understand what can be wrong. (just kidding a little bit) but the new kids don't understand mechanical distributors, and carburetors. Have a compression test done. All this should be done in one after noon, not a year. Is there a Corvette club around close so you can talk to a Vette Head?