65 corvette 327-365hp a/c car runs hot

Asked by Jul 03, 2016 at 11:15 AM about the 1965 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

365 hp with a/c 160 therm,-good anti-freeze,new water pump, flushed rad.
what do you think about getting rid of fan clutch?

26,545

rid of fan clutch for what reason???? give me more info...........

69,405

I think that set up worked 51 years ago, so it should still work now. Plus you'd be losing some of the car's originality. Just my opinion. Anyhow, has this vehicle been otherwise modified? I'd check that the air deflectors and baffels for the radiator are in place and not damaged. Also, check your ignition timing. If the ignition timing is retarded (late) it will heat up. Also, if your ignition timing is now retarded but it wasn't in the past (assuming you haven't adjusted it) it's going to be a worn timing chain. If you have an automatic transmission, is it shifting late? Another symptom of a worn timing chain. Do you have the correct radiator in the vehicle? An aftermarket one may be smaller than the original equipment one. When does it heat up? While driving? While idling? HTH. - Jim

15,095

I had a 65 and 69 with the fan clutch on it. They have a tendency to wear out. That may be all you need. In the mean time, you have an original radiator? If so they have a tendency to club up so if you can. have it checked for flow. If you are wanting to keep it original, have the radiator cleaned out, (rodded out is the correct terminology in the past) replace the entire fan clutch, water hoses, and correct coolant. Also change the thermostat to a new one. the clutch fan engages when the engine gets hot, otherwise it freely spins, and will give you 10 more HP. I built my engine in my 69 so it runs hotter and put on dual fans and have them run full time which woks here in So. Cal. If you car is original, keep it that way, and enjoy it.