2005 automatic transmission

45

Asked by Jul 11, 2007 at 10:45 AM about the 2005 Chevrolet Corvette

Ocassionally having difficultly getting the transmission to shift out of the park position. I understand the shut down procedure and I'm following it clearly. This problem is doesn't happen each time which I find very confusing. Interested in knowing if anyone else has experience this problem and is there a solution or something I need to change?

43,545

Sounds like a problem with the Ignition/Park interlock switch. Take this one to your dealer and check for recalls. The Ignition/Park Interlock is designed to keep the transmission from being moved out of park without the keys in the ignition, however, if it is malfunctioning, you might experience what you are going through.

40

I'm having the same problem. I went to the Chevy maintenance dept this morning and they said it is more than likely the interlock switch. It cost about $22.00. That's cheaper than putting the car on a diagnostic machine at the dealer. That could cost you in upwards of $100.00. I'll soon see if it fixes the problem!

45

Ricky- any update with your transmission interlock switch?

20

I also have the same problem. It occurs infrequently but today I was stuck behind a wreck on the interstate for 45 minnutes. It was 98* so I kept the engine running with the transmission in park. When they cleared the highway and cars started moving.......you guessed it! It took me a full 5 minutes and I don't know what I did that worked. I tried turning the steering wheel and pressing the brake, and different ways of pressing the "release" button. For $22 and probably $400 labor, I'll try the interlock switch replacement. I bought mine new in Nov. 2004 and it has done it since new, but very infrequently, and never as embarassing as today! Any further reports on the switch replacement?

20

Try pushing shifter fwd and to the right / when solenoid engages you will here a click when the solenoid engages. If that doesn't do it restart the car and try the above procedure.

80

The 2005 Corvette has a shift solenoid that is attached to the shifter in the automatics. Unfortunately the part was attached permanently and cannot be replaced. The repair is to repair the entire shifter assembly around 700.00. You may also need to replace the shifter cable if it was damaged trying to get car into gear. Often the repair costs upwards of 1000.00 dollars due to one small parts mis-design. Consider contacting NHTSA at safecar.gov to report this repair even when done by warranty, this was a defective safety device.

Not an answer per say but another couple of questions: Has anyone been successful in getting Chevrolet to provide compensation for the repair work in order to replace the shifter assembly? If you replace it, will it be with another defective stock part or is there an after market replacement that will do the trick and save you money?

You might also want to look and see what kind of shape your shift cable is in. That could also be the problem. Many of our later model automobiles use a flexible cable for shift control as opposed to the ridged shift rods that were used in days of old.