TRANSMISSION FLUID CHANGE

150

Asked by Jul 11, 2011 at 05:29 PM about the 2004 Toyota Camry

2004 CAMRY ,NEVER CHANGED TRANNY FLUID HELP

Its messy but can be done with a 5 gallon bucket and some hose lines. detach the 2 lines at the radiator and have an assistant start the engine, 1 line will start flowing with fluid shut the vehicle off. attach a rubber hose to that line (home depot has various sizes in their plumbing aisle) place that hose into an empty 5 gallon bucket. attach a hose to the other line and place that hose into a 1 gallon bottle of fluid. Start the car. the old fluid will dump into the 5 gallon bucket while the new fluid is sucked into the vehicle. Keep doing this until the fluid going into the 5 gallon bucket looks new. shut the car off and clean up and reattach the fittings.

150

JEFF --- MY CONCERN IS I WAS TOLD NOT TO CHANGE IT BECAUSE IF I DO THE TRANNY WILL SLIP --- IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE VISCOSITY OF THE FLUID BREAKDOWN OVER THE YEARS.

That's an old myth. If you neglect it the transmission will wear and begin to slip. Some people blame the slipping on changing the fluid (wrong) overlooking the fact they damaged the transmission by running the old fluid too long.

150

THANKS JEFF --- THE ONLY THING IS THAT MY MECHANIC SAYS AFTER 7 YEARS OF THE SAME FLUID,HE WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE IF HE CHANGES IT.

The transmission is either already worn or it isn't. If the fluid was meant to stay in it, they wouldn't specify a maintenance schedule.

325

You can usually tell if the fluid is dirty by the color or even the smell of it.If the fluid is not transparent or very dark in color,it will sometimes have a burnt smell it should be changed,more important than the trans fluid is the transmission filter,I've seen trans saved by changing the fluid & filter many times,can also decrease slippage & improve shifting.

735

wouldnt change it, herd by many more than one peson, all auto tranny builders not just random people, ive always been told if you dont change it every 50k or so then dont change it at all because the transsmission has been " broken in" too that fluid. now if you change it when your saposed to ive herd its ok or also that if its being used to tow a lot its fine. when i pulled my engine and dumped the fluid my tranny builder strongly advised me to put the old oil back in and mine only had 40k on it, just my 2 cents.

End the myth once and for all http://ezinearticles.com/?Transmission-Flush-Myths---Busted!&id=4791559

735

just my opinion. my uncles whent in his vette right after being changed and my couisins in his van... literaly within a week, not trying to start agument just simply my opinion... if its not black then id leave it alone

8,205

the tranny oil should be changed 35-to 40k miles. if u don't, you are grinding your parts down plus the oil lost all properties of lubing.

10

I always heard don't change unless it smells burnt This will be the first time unfortunately it may be to late for my 2002 Camry Tranny I questioned the jerky shifting when I test drove and the Sales agent no doubt said he couldn't feel it. Manual says it is good for life. Come on do you eat burnt toast? Only if your starving. Is it possible the tranny will be saved with a flush and new fliud or do I bring it in for diagnostics expensive either way.

I have had mechanics tell me different things I have done research on YouTube and have read different blogs here, I have a 2000 Toyota Camry LE 2.2 L engine with 177,000 miles , I know it has not had any transmission flush or change because the previous owner told me so. The car has no issues switching gears, or slipping. However I want to prevent it from doing so. What I have learned to do is a simple change of fluid, Allow the fluid to come out by the tranny plug change the filter and gasket and add new ATF in, that way you have half old fluid and half new fluid. Repeat this process again after A certain amount of driving, allowing new fluid to circulate.