Toyota Echo 2005 Automatic 118k miles that I recently pruchased from a private owner is making a mystery sound.I've heard it two times just after starting the car. It makes this loud high shrill chirping sound. Almost like a bird chirp but Loud.It does that for about 10 seconds then stops.I took it to a mechanic and it wouldn't make the sound...so he couldn't say what it is.I have some wild guesses ( not knowing much about cars)The torque converter? the timing chain? Fan belt? Oh please don't let it be the transmission. Thanks!!

Asked by Jul 02, 2013 at 01:42 PM about the 2005 Toyota ECHO

1,405

Check to see if the air conditioner is on. it could be the fan belt slipping, because of the AC unit being on as you start the car. OR it could be the belt slipping because it is wearing out; But both of these conditions should have been found by our mechanic. So start to write down each time this happens: time of day, engine hot or cold , weather hot cold sunny rainy each time this happens. That information should give your mechanic a better chance to find the problem. Good Luck HTH

106,065

I agree with BURT100. Sounds like a belt or pulley going bad.

Thanks guys- this info is just as good as calling in the radio program Car Talk(Click and Clack)~I mean that in a good way~Smile Appreciate your answer.. sounds like you've figured it out!