I have a '90 K1500. Trans will shift from first to second all day but wont shift into third. seems to be slipping. Kickdown cable was already replaced. what could it be?

James Griffith

Asked by Oct 25, 2010 at 06:49 PM about the 1990 Chevrolet C/K 1500

Jamie Adams

electronic shit tranny...i think its done bud...drive seems to be toast

Danny Wang

As Jamie states, I think something inside the transmission, I am guessing that the friction material on the clutch holding third maybe worn out

James Griffith

well it runs decent it just wont go into third. i bought it off the side of the road. so im thinking that it might just be the tranny filter and gaskets. cause the guy i bought it from didnt even have the kick down cable hookedup and he tried to hold it together with like a gallon of silicon. so im not sure. im hoping its not the trans itself.

sounds like the OD clutches are burned up,I doubt a fluid & filter chang would help,if you do drop the pan ,if it has a lot of grayesh gunk in it,not good.

James Griffith

okay well thanks for the help, ill let you guys know when i get a chance to look at it.

James Griffith

LOL, well we did a filter change. and that old filter felt like sand paper, there was so much sand grim n shit on the filter it was horrible. so im hoping that it will work now that we changed that. lol.

Chase Sutherland

you better do a full flush if there was a bunch of garbage in that filter. otherwise your new filter is going to be no good shortly also

James Griffith

yah we cleaned out the pan and everything. n all the fluid in the trans.

Chase Sutherland

What about the fluid in the torque converter?

James Griffith

lol, that i did forget to do, but there prolly wasnt much in there. cause wen i got it home from buying it the dude had like no tranny fluid in it at all. but ill remember to do that.

Josh Mercer

i had a 94 that did the same shit fluid turned black and the bands snapped if its slipping damage is already done and it will most likely blow up cuz u changed the fluid. if it has the 4l60 it its like 1500 for a new one i got lucky and found a rebuilt at a local junk yard it only had 18000 miles on it

Greg O'Connor

its not a trans shift cable, its a TV cable and it needs to be adjusted correctly to control main line press. if it isnt adjusted correctly it will burn the trans up

I don't know i would like some more help please

Does the transmission fluid smell burnt? If so replace transmission.