92 k1500 wont shift into 3rd gear

40

Asked by Oct 31, 2014 at 12:17 AM about the 1992 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Scottsdale Extended Cab RWD

Transmission put in, wouldn't shift into third on the first try so it was parked for 2-3 years. I'm hoping it isn't the clutches. Its not slipping, just staying in second, keeps power, just refuses to shift. The TV cable doesn't have anywhere to hook up on the tb bracket, so its wired on as of right now. Also, the fluid reads the level it should be at hot but it hasn't been started, let alone gotten hot in 2-3 days. I dont believe the wires/plugs going to the trans have much to do with it shifting into third, if it will shift into second, but the wires were chewed on pretty good by mice/chipmunks while it sat. I'm trying to get it running and driving ASAP so any advice/information helps. Thanks in advance.

40

Also, what do I need to get to be able to hook the tv cable up to my throttle body? Its just a plastic end on the cable and the bracket on the throttle body is just an empty hole.

116,335

Thats right, if the cable is not hooked up correctly it can keep your trans in second gear as the valve body is getting a wide open throttle signal from the improperly attached cable. You could try disconnecting the cable completely, if it is in fact the TV cable causing the problem, then it should shift from low to second to high gear very quickly, it may happen so fast that you might not even feel the shifts, that is what they would call stacked shifting. then you could command shift using the gear selector, start off in low then upshift to second then third, you should be in third gear right at 30mph, light steady throttle, remember your just diagnosing a problem, you don't want to blow a tranny doing full throttle shifts.

40

I want to say it did this before I moved the cable to the correct/lined up position. My throttle body does not have a mount for the cable though, where or what do I need to get for it to mount correctly (tied with a wire as of right now).

116,335

You could try a wrecking yard, they might have the unit you need, the little tab is usually a pressed in part so you will need the correct TB for an automatic.