no one has answered my question? where is the starter relay located on a 1986 bronco 2 2.9at the starter? or on the fender well?

Asked by Mar 20, 2015 at 06:48 AM about the 1986 Ford Bronco II

wher is the starter relay on the starter? or on the fender well?

8,030

As I recall, the B+ cable was short, and the start relay was right by the battery. The other side had the cable running down below to the starter motor.The starter relay has a case ground to the fender. There was a red wire with a blue stripe that went on the S terminal for start enable, and the I terminal was deleted. The fuse links all attached at the side that was always hot. Since that engine is the hybrid of the german 2.8L and preceeded the 4.0L, there are several starters that may fit it seems til you try to use them. The last one I had off there was a Ford starter like the olden days where nothing goes wrong with the Ford part except the drive end gear and "c" ring. The brushes can last a few lifetimes. That tells me there is nothing but the motor run connector below on the starter and no relay below. They were a powerful decent runner, except the distrib was behind the upper intake and they shook like a dog chttin a peach pit. Good rig.

what part of 2.9 motor didnt you understand?

8,030

Starter motor ? or heater motor ? vacuum motor? try uploading a pic of your 2.9 hybrid engine, all those germans look alike to me.

8,030

But follow the B+ cable, you can find it if your build series has too many parts in the way. all the drawings I looked for are expanded application and include all the years it was made. The drawings show it between the battery and power distribution box, but as you know, ford always has a better Idea, and after you are bleeding, You get to gripe to your buddies about what a POS it was. I have some recollection from when those were coming in alot, the driveability tech was saying it was different somehow because there was a bunch of other sheet in the way.

8,030

The parts sites show the Ford starter, so the relay has to be apart from it in the engine bay, covered up or behind something, even case grounded by a groundstrap is possible. bulkhead is possible. Inner fender is possible. Start following that cable and look behind and under things. lunch is at 11:30 and the customer is waiting, are you done yet? oh, it pays 3 tenths and that's 18 minutes, you already wasted 13 talking to me.

8,030

Mechanics are such a bunch of terrible people, huh.

8,030

Bulkhead just became more possible, several inches to the right side of the truck from fuel pump and eec relays. another website has an EVTM drawing. It does not say it's for that year and the site talks about 2 other years. The manuals may not have yours till a later year and thats used up all your .3, and half of your lunch. Better eat well and be quick about it. Your parts just arrived for the truck you get to push back up the parking lot into the shop, you took the engine apart last month, remember? Anyway, happy MOTORING.

i have an 86 2.9l on my bronco ii the relay is about 8in from battery high on the fender wall