Having problems with starter solenoid sticking on my 1987 Bronco 2 4x4 with the 2.9l?

Asked by Aug 27, 2015 at 09:39 PM about the 1987 Ford Bronco II XL 4WD

I have replaced the key lock cylinder,
ignition switch, ignition coil,
distributor cap an rotor bug, spark
plugs and wires and have replaced
the starter solenoid  multiple times
and replaced the starter.

Make sure it is grounded properly and you are getting the right one for your rig, or change it to a Cole Herse high amp solenoid.

Best Answer Mark helpful

I have replaced the positive and negative battery cables and the cable from the solenoid to the starter. Everything was going good until Thursday night and the new solenoid stuck closed again and is causing the starter to engage. Where do I turn now to figure this out?

Also where is the best place to find interior panels and lift gate parts?

Change it out for a Cole Herse solenoid. LMC truck is a good place for parts.

Having oil pressure problems. Every time I press the clutch and rpms drop I'll notice the oil pressure drop and the lifters will start chattering. Is this the oil pump going out? Should I use a high volume pump? What's the best way to deal with the lifter chatter?

Good possibility the pump is starting to fail, and yes a high volume pump us a good idea for a replacement, the only other reason is you could have excessive bearing clearance in the motor.

Ok, I've got a lot of the issues figured out. Now that it's getting colder out it doesn't want to start. But when I get home in the evening, when it's warm outside, it'll start right up with no problems. Where should I start?

For your interior question try LMC Truck, they have a nice selection of Bronco 2 parts. Cold starting could be a sensor misread, I would start with the ECT and IAT sensors first, they could be out of specs but sending a bogus signal so the ECM reads them as operational so the check engine light does not turn on, also check the sensor grounds, when a fig starts to get older grounding becomes a real issue. HTH

Thanks for all the help. The problem wound up being the altenator. It gave out on me Friday night. New question. What do I do for the lifter noise? It's getting worse. Should I have the engine rebuilt, or go with the 4.0l v6? If I go with 4.0l what all am I going to need to do?

You can try resetting the minimum lash adjustment on the rocker arms but it usually means that the lifters are getting weak, and a new cam and lifter kit should be installed. If your thinking about engine work, the easiest would be to overhaul the one you have, if your thinking about a different engine skip the V6 configuration and go with a small V8, the 302 is most popular and there are a lot of sites the cam show the kits and what is involved. HTH

I've got a new problem that just started. Driving along an even grade will run fine. Start going up hill it will start cutting out. Was told it could be the o2 sensor? Where should I start?

Check for O2 sensor codes, if it is actually the sensor or a wiring problem, or something totally different.