ford bronco 2 chugging problem

Asked by Jul 02, 2011 at 02:09 PM about the 1987 Ford Bronco II

after i drive a few miles or the engine warms up it start to act likw its out of fuel. i replaced fuel pump, fuel filters, drained the fuel rails, new air filter, co2 sensoe, plugs wires and rotor cap, replaced the injectors and still cant figure out the problem

the 87 was bad for wearing out the timeing chain and gears.cam gear was a plastic gear,i would replace timeing chain and gear,some 4 bangers and V6 just ran off 2 gears,no chain.another sugestion would be to have cat converter checked to see if cloged up.

There are several possibilities, but based on how you described the symptoms I suggest a profile igniton pickup. On these systems the failure usually begins as dropping a cylinder occasionally,like a misfire,mostly during high underhood temperatures,will manifest into stalling and finally into a stall with no resart condition. Symptoms are most likely to occur in summer. The pickup is inside the distributor and the distributor must be disassembled to install it,the trickiest part being the removal and installation of the distributor drive gear. They are iron and easily broken. The simplest solution is another distributor. The ignition modules typically do not fail in this manner,but this is classic for the pickup coil. A code for loss of pip signal should be present, it is possible for a code to not be present,though very unlikely. I need more details to be sure but this problem is common.