Is it possible to change the factory default keypad access code in a 2007 Ford 500?

10

Asked by Sep 23, 2013 at 05:39 PM about the 2007 Ford Five Hundred

My daughter gave out the factory default keypad access code for our Ford 500, 2007
model. She is now worried about someone gaining access to the car and wanted to know
how expensive it was to change the code.  From my limited knowledge of the car, I know
that at least it requires the replacement of a module.

77,895

You are correct about the module, it will need to be replaced, the factory code is the default setting and cannot be changed, that is why they recommend programming in your own code when you purchase the car. You might get lucky and find one at a salvage yard that works but if not then the dealer is your only choice.

10

Dear Tennisshoes: Many thanks for the quick reply! I suspected that would be the case. The backstory on this is that I had called a Ford dealership to get pricing about replacing the module. The service person stated it would be about $600, which would cover the cost of the module, the labor involved and the cost of replacing the keypads on the doors themselves. I could buy into the the cost and labor associated with replacing the module, but for the life of me could not fathom why the need to replace the door keypads. To me, the keypads would function as a peripheral device (like a computer keyboard, and would connect to the module. I don't understand why there would be a need for a peripheral device to be somehow so functionally integrated with a central processor that it also needed to be replaced. To me the need to replace the keypads seemed to be a lot of hooey. So I decided to reach out to the Car Guru people to get some input!!!! Thanks again for your help Cajunmccarthy

77,895

The only reason I can think of as to why they want to replace the key pads is if there is a problem with the stock units like allowing water to enter the units. If yours aren't leaking then I don't see a reason for it. I'd still try a salvage yard for the module, I believe that yours is attached to rear package tray in the trunk. You might have to remove the cover, It should have the number of your code on a sticker right on the unit, should be an easy replacement, just make sure you pull the fuses for dome, door locks and accessories before replacing the unit. Hope this helps.

10

Dear tennis shoes: That is a tremendous help! The keypads are fine themselves. I think that the dealership is just trying to make money off of a female college student (my daughter) who, to them, is clueless about cars. Although I am fairly knowledgable about older (pre-1990) cars, I am not familiar where the rear package tray is located in the trunk. I am guessing it is on located against one of the side walls of the trunk area? Once I find it, I should be able to make the replacement with my current skillset though. Thanks again!

77,895

I just did some digging on the Ford 500 and found out that the module is part of the cars main ECM, so that is new to me. But the dealer told you it had a module, strange. Did you buy the car new? Have you double checked the default code to make sure the one she gave was indeed the default?