Engine revs and loses power when driving.

Asked by May 29, 2009 at 03:07 PM about the 2006 Ford Focus

I have had this car in for a fix at two different dealers.  When driving at highway speeds the tachometer revs to 5 or 6,000 RPMs car loses power.  The first fix was a problem with the cruise control cable.  Replaced.  Issue was first noted when using cruise control.  This did not fix problem.  Next time in service stated they were unable to duplicate problem but there was a service bulletin and they adjusted the idle speed.  This also did not fix the problem.  The car is now shaking and reving at 30 mph on short trips also.  First two fixes were within the 30k warranty, now past.  Any suggestions?

615

What do you mean by losing power? Does the car die?

165

sounds like a tranny issue if ur 5-6,000 rpm at highway speeds.

185

sounds like your clutch is slipping.

680

2001 Ford focus ZX3 2.0l dohc "AUTOMATIC" I beleive i have a similiar problem. When driving from a stop car seems to be fine but as the RPM's climb and press harder on the pedal the car faulters/stumbles, in which it will not accelerate, making me back off of the pedal to slowly(very slowly) accerate. So far I've started at the least costly fixes: 1. cleaned air filter 2. cleaned throttle body 3. cleaned maf sensor 4. replaced fuel filter 5. replaced ignition coil 6. added 1 can of sea foam to fuel tank 7. plug wire #4 is a tad loose, tried to crimp the butt to help but still a bit loose, I will try and change the wires ASAP. Now I'm stuck, I did manage to fix the spuddering and bouncing off the rev limiter at 3k. I now rev all the way to 5k and the car bogs down and won't accelerate?? Any insight, advice, suggestions are greratly appreciated! Graham

680

SORRY, ADD-ON someone suggested that it may be the knock sensor?? but for tomorrow I will try and change the plugs and wires.

970

Hey I'm having exactly the same problem with my Ford Focus. "When driving from a stop car seems to be fine but as the RPM's climb and press harder on the pedal the car faulters/stumbles, in which it will not accelerate" Were you able to find out what was wrong with the car? Did you manage to eliminate the stumbling and how it wouldnt accelerate? I really need help, i've changed filters, spark plugs, spark plug leads, cleaned maf, changed fuel pump, changed battery ...

470

got the same problem. when on the motorway coming up hill drive it doesn't go more than 50mph. even if i put the foot down it doesn't seem to build up speed. i changed clutch. cleaned the EGR value. but fault is still there!!!

280

I have the same problem...I'm being told that I have a blocked cat converter! I don't know what to do...has anyone ever discovered what's causing this to happen????

160

These symptoms are almost exactly what was happening to my 2001 Focus ZX3. We replaced plugs, wires, O2 sensor, starter coil, professionally cleaned jets, and replaced the fuel filter. Still acted like it was running out of gas though testing of fuel pump showed correct pressure/vacuum. Turns out that it WAS the fuel pump but the 3 times it was tested, they each showed a false positive that everything was indeed working properly. Faulty fuel pump finally showed when gauge was rigged to attach near the fuel regulator and instantly it showed that the fuel pump was definitely not working. We replaced the complete fuel pump module (recommended by Ford on a RECALL that expired in 2005) and problems were finally solved. That was a tough one that cost a lot more money and time than it should have. Good luck.

120

I had my 2000 ford focus SE DOHC throttle body replaced after a high rpm on idle and hesitate to accelerate from stopping. I had my engine light on and the error was P0221 which says TPS. Now, the car is running great.

120

anyways, ford dealership told me that the Throttle Body won't close causing it to hesitate to accelerate and very high rpm on an idle. Ford made a newly design TB with TPS included.

40

does it have a cvt transsmission i had a 06 freestyle same problem they said tranny the where wrong it was electronic and i gave up but i was down to the throttle postiton sensor and shift module i figured out it was not the tranny by doing this Step 1 let the vehicle hit run temp in drive way or parking lot step 2 shut the car off and turn back on drive car see if it still does it after that if that works then your down to electric problem such as not reading that is supposed to shift

200

I have a 2000 ford focus automatic it has around 150,000 miles and recently when driving down the interstate around 60mph it all of a sudden starts losing power and slowing down and smoking from under the hood the only other time this has happened it started right back up but this time the car won't start at all and i noticed i was leaking transmission fluid this time also does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong with my car please help

170

i have a 2011 ford fusion. just yesterday my car rpm run high and cannot catch up to speed very fast. From stop to go, it probably takes me 3 miles to get the car to act normal.then throughout my trip highway or just on regular roads it acts up multiple times. why do rpms run high like its skipping or what not????

50

I'm not sure this was already covered as I skipped a heap of posts, but when the fuel pump was changed did they use a new screen filter or old one, the reason I say this is my Focus had a similar issue couldn't rev hard at all changed just about everything electrical inc. fuel pump, the supplied pump had a slightly different screen filter so I used my old one which looked pretty clean, turns out it was restricting flow in turn reducing fuel pressure, the new screen filter fixed everything, drives perfectly now no more issues & have better fuel economy too :)

50

im having a smilliar issue with a dodge ram 1500. i rebuilt the engine and got a new clutch. recently got the truck back and now it wont go past 70mph on the high way and its like i step on in/ dump clutch it wont spin or go any where. it wont even go to 5000 rpms.

20

my 2002 ford focus had a missing reaction when I first bought it, used of course, I was told to try to replace the spark plugs but then it got worse but not it does it when the engine warms up and acts like its about to stall. does anyone have any options on what it could be?

my problem is the exact opposite. my '02 zx3 idles too low--sometimes as low as 500. replaced the heater hose outlet tube after overheating yesterday. now, all of a sudden, it will lag/stumble going into 1st and 2nd. anyone have any ideas?? planning to clean throttle body and pluga/wires tomorrow...

10

Im having the same problem with my1998 ford explore 5.0 v8 awd but when i dead stop to go i have to let it pick up its old speed ill have to start out at 10 mph then it will pick up speed. But when im going down the high way my rpms running at 5000 at 55 mph. What causes this

10

I got a mini one 202 wen I go to put my foot down the 30 to 40 engein revers up

10

did anyone consider this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAZCAxpv7Uk