What is the spring for?

Asked by Nov 05, 2013 at 09:48 PM about the 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle

I changed the oil filter for the first time on my 1965 Chevelle with a 283. When I removed the canister, I noticed that inside the filter housing, on the engine, there was a small washer and a spring that was loose inside. I poked at them with my finger and they fell out. I have no idea where they belong. I thought the spring went over the long bolt that holds the canister in place, but it is too small.

5,970

What type of filter are you running? Is it the fram canister?

16,465

The spring is used to hold the gasket in place. This was on the filters at the time. The newer filters still need it to help hold the top of the filter mechanism in place.

185

hope your not talking about the bypass... just plug it and allow all the oil to run thru your oil filter...

16,465

On the older engines the fi8lter was placed inside a canister then the canister was screwed onto the engine. Inside was a round metal piece the same diameter of the canister to help hold the washer in place. There was no bypass. My 65 Corvette has this type of filter, but my 69 did not. The 69 has an external stand alone filter.