1993 Toyota Camry keeps overheating

15

Asked by Nov 17, 2007 at 02:23 PM about the 1993 Toyota Camry

Our 1993 Toyota Camry keeps overheating after going about 5-10 miles. The thermostat has already been replaced(actually ran better for a little while until we shut it off and restarted it) as has the water pump. The oil is still clear and not milky. Any suggestions as to what it could be?

43,545

Have you checked that the electric cooling fan is turning on when the engine reaches operating temp? A faulty coolant temperature sensor will not trigger the fan, or the fan itself or fan relay could be shot. You might also have a head gasket leak that is not into the cylinders, so it would overheat without causing milky oil. Another possibility is a clogged radiator -- with 15 years on the vehicle, it's quite possible. Have the cooling system pressure checked, and replace the radiator cap for starters -- if the radiator cap isn't holding pressure, overheating will occur rapidly.

30

If your toyota camiry engine is over heating. I know what your deal'ing with for i own the same car. Heres what too check if you can perform the work your self with tools. Get too the thermostat hoseing connected too the lower radiator hose. disconnect hoseing take out termostat. put thermostat in a pan of boiling water on yer kitchen stove. if the thermostat is open when you pull it out of the hot water. that thermstat is good . not the problem. Next . go too the Number 2 & 3 spark plug. pullthat out with a plug sock&wrench. . if theres coolent or water on the bottom electrod of ether of those spark plugs. your head gasket is blown and need too replace. and that would bee your over heating problem. also make sure your electric cooling fans are kicking on when they should at running temp. or at all ??? . Good luck mike

3,115

One fan when ac turns9on Other fan turns on 180-200 degree Or take wire off fan not ac fan ground it if it works replace relay