91 loyale charging problem

5

Asked by Feb 24, 2010 at 09:31 PM about the 1991 Subaru Loyale

alternator went out. have tried 4 different new ones and cannot get proper charge under load. have checked all wires and fuses.  charges until you put any kind of load on it then it drops and sometimes comes back up slowly sometimes it just hangs around 10 volts.  with headlights or heater on it drops to around under 10.  am stumped.  any ideas would be appreciated.

25

replace the battery. an intermittent short will call your alternator to be drained and kill the diodes in it. also check the ground cable. you can also use a test lite to check for a draw in the system but id look at the battery first. it may test good under load but try replacing it and go from there.

5

Thanks. I'll try it and see what happens.

10

My Loyale has done the same thing. Driving home the voltmeter started dropping. By the time I got home it had dropped to about 9 volts. I replaced the alternator 4 times and have even replaced the battery but she is still showing only about 11.5 volts. Replacing the ground wire was mentioned but is that the ground wire from the battery or the ground wire from the alternator? If it is the wire from the alternator is there anywhere online I could get a wiring diagram to trace and/or replace the wire? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Tom

5

The problem ended up being the crankshaft pulley. The vibration dampner went out so it was not spinning as fast as it was supposed to.

10

Have heard that before but was hoping it would be something simpler. Is it expensive and/or hard to fix? Would still like to find a wiring diagram online somewhere if you could help on that end it would be greatly appreciated

5

Had my mechanic switch it out so I don't know how hard it was to fix but it was not expensive. Got a used part from a salvage yard. Not sure where to get a wiring diagram without buying the book.