Mechanic at Firestone said he has to replace the entire "throttle body" for $600. Is this unreal or what?

Asked by Dec 09, 2013 at 07:14 PM about the 2005 Saturn ION

My sister just had problems with her Saturn I think it's a 2007.  Bought from mom's lease with 3,000 miles on it.  Has had lots of problems.  Now on a business trip the car wouldn't accelerate.  She could only go 50 miles an hour on the interstate.  and it buck at idle.

that's possible on some cars they are weak,but not able to work around. the vacuum seals around the plenum under this part would be suspect first, or a used for about 125 would a quick self fix if that's the failed part.

Very rarely do you have to replace a throttle body. You can clean them of carbon. But I suspect it's the throttle position sensor that is the problem. It's attached to the throttle body, so that maybe why they want to replace the whole assembly. The part is around $75. add 1/2 labor. Tell your sister to find another place to take the car.

3K......cain't be worn out.....another prob. Mass Air Flow maybe.

Go someplace else I find it hard to believe that it has a problem with that low mileage, it could b a fuel supply problem, with mileage that low there could be a lot of moisture in the fuel system.

I took my 2007 Saturn Ion to Pepboys yesterday and they told me they had to replace the entire throttle body assembly and wants over $700. I am trying to decide if I want to have them do this.

This thread is 3 years old, you would get more responses if you would start a new one. That being said, what reason did they give you for needing a new throttle body? If it is an actuator or throttle servo motor then they are telling the truth, but that seems really high for the replacement costs though. Call some other shops, maybe you still have some in your area that still specialize in Saturns. You might start thinking about getting rid of it, the vehicle is tens years old plus they don't make them anymore, so eventually the values will start to tank. Out my way people are starting too unload the ones they own and the dealers are selling them off to wholesalers.