Overheating

10

Asked by May 20, 2017 at 02:10 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Sunfire

My sunfire is over heating and blowing all
the antifreeze out  of the coolant tank lid
how do I fix This? I replaced the thermostat
and water pump it seems like the fluid isnt
circulating any suggestions?

10

My cooling fan comes on when temp reaches 100ยบ

102,395

I hate to say this but if you have already replaced the thermostat and bled out the air and it still overheats you may have a blown headgasket. Is there water in the oil or oil in the coolant? If you have either one of those then for sure it is blown. Another sign would be the cooling system pressurizing very quickly while running, and possibly a slight engine miss when first started that goes away after just a few seconds.

10

I didn't mention it but I just replaced the head gasket last week

10

I just finished flushing out the rad too it didn't feel restricted

102,395

Was the head pressure tested while you had it off and then shaved to make sure it is flat?

10

No I did it in my driveway It's not puffing white smoke or anything

10

I did spend along time cleaning the head and block when I had it apart I hope its still good I really don't want to do it again

10

Yeah you're right man I have fucking coolant in my oil again

102,395

Bummer man, you have got to get those heads checked and shaved, that is one point that just can't be short on. I can't remember how many customers have asked " well can't you just replace just the gasket" it just won't work. Sorry you have to tear back into it.

10

All good man it really wasn't all that hard

10

But back to the overheating part.. what would have made the head gasket blown?

102,395

Eventually if they run long enough they all blow headgaskets, some just faster than others, some engines can take overheating time and time again and not suffer a blown headgasket while others something as simple as a thermostat opening at 10 degrees hotter has blown them, that's why cooling system maintenance is so critical anymore, thermostats, hoses, coolant, all need to be changed on a schedule. Back in older times we had a summer thermostat and a winter thermostat so they were change at least twice a year and never had a sticking thermostat problem but today there is no such thing. So it's hard to say what caused yours to blow in the first place if it never even got a little too warm just once.

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

I got it pretty hot on my way to work so It was definitely the operator but I think I may have had a faulty thermostat to cause it to over heat I'm just going to buy a different car this one's going to the shredder lol