Supercharger?

25

Asked by May 14, 2008 at 01:06 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Sunfire

Hah, thought it would be pretty neat if I put a supercharger on my sunfire.

I have a 2003, 2.2L with an Ecotech motor.

Any ideas or inputs?

25

first off, i'd check to see what's available for your car. I'm not too sure about GM apps, but I think a similar motor setup is used with the Chevy Cobalt SS.

25

To be honest I would check to see if you could find motor mounts for a 2.0 liter cobalt SS motor swap into a sunfire, cuz i think it would be a lot safer than assuming the sunfire motor could handle boost. More expensive of course, but safer.

55

www.j-body.org Dedicated Cavalier/Sunfire forums. Ask this same question there, and you'll get a straight forward answer. Won't be the cheapest mod in the world though.. superchargers are expensive.

To be honest, you are a gutzy girl! :) Dont blow it! :) lol

35

Ive actually seen a small turbo custom built kit by the owner work good on a sunfire.

65

Definatly swap in the ss motor, or run very low boost pressure, I blew up the same moter in my sunfire trying to superchage it, Its got to high compression. I am now putting a spercharged 3.8 L out of a 1999 Grand prix in the car

95

turbo its easier and cheaper to tweak

155

turbo is better in my opinion, but thats just me cheaper and more effiecient since turbos run of your exhuast and SC's run off your belts which means it takes away from the engine to give it more power while turbos uses waste to increase performance and ive never heard of forced induction on a sunfire but i like originality, so i hope you can pull it off check out a cobalt ss engine swap tho they are made for forced induction and i dont know whether a sunfire engine could handle it

60

dude just run a 50 trim turbo. :). but seriuosly it wuld be pretty quick blown but it dont know how the sunfire motor wuld hold up to boost so

185

no.

3,125

Go for it !!!

2,865

a turbo would be a more logical way to go with a small displacement engine, as supercharging is parasetic and initially robs power to turn the blower. as the tuner guys know with the smaller cars (honda, nissan,etc...) and they can be scary fast