Tail lights on 2003 Pontiac Montana minivan

Asked by Apr 07, 2012 at 09:03 AM about the 2003 Pontiac Montana

My daughter has a 2003 Pontiac Montana minivan and the tail lights won't work. We have replaced the
bulbs and the brake lights, backup lights and signal lights work but the tail lights won't. What could be the
problem and how can we fix it?

145

I had a similar problem. In my case, the light bulb socket in the tail light assembly melted for some reason. Got a replacement at the junkers and I've had no problems since. I checked the TSBs and there is no mention of a defect on these items but I've replaced 2 on my 03 montana and 1 on my 01 montana. good luck.

75

I am having the same issue with my '03 Montana - plastic on bulbs where contacts are plugged in are actually melting!! My husband has to replace the bulbs about every 3 weeks. He has discovered that one way you know that the rear brake lights are out is - the cruise control won't work. Somehow they are connected. I use my cruise alot so as soon as it stops working, I know to bug him to change the bulbs again. He said that the rear tail lamp circuit boards need to be replaced. These are available aftermarket and they are pretty inexpensive either in USD or CDN (we are CDN)....under $40 that I've seen so far. As billybob mentioned....replace these. GM should be notified that these are defective and need to be replaced after a period of time.