What is the difference between a Grand Am and a Grand Prix

Asked by Feb 02, 2007 at 02:54 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Grand Am

What makes a Grand Am different from a Grand Prix? Is one more posh than the other? Better engine???

30,585

The Grand Prix is a step up from the Grand Am. It's has a bigger engine and is bigger in length and width. Thats not to say that you can't get a nice Grand Am. I think it's what you yourself prefer, a bigger car or smaller car.

105

Personally i know of people having a lot of problems with Grand AMs. Just for no other reason than its a grand AM...also the 3400 that they put in those does not match up to the bulletproof 3800 in Grand Prix GT and GTP...these engines also come in a lot of GM vehicles...Montes, Buick Park Ave. and Le Sabres, etc. I believe, and there of course is no proof of this really...but i believe GM stoppped making the 3800 cause it was too reliable. So just some food for thought. Hope it helps.

125

THE GRAND AM IS CONSIDERED A COMPACT CAR ,AND THE GRAN PRIX CAN BE CALLED EITHER A FULL-SIZED OR MID-SIZED CAR..AND YES THE GRAND PRIX IS A NICE FAST FUN CAR.i HAVE BOTH.LONG TRIPS GRAND PRIX .SHORT TRIPS GRAND AM

75

Gand Am and Grand Prix is just a differnt size car, I had a '89 grand am and never had any problems out of it, I know the V6 car did have transmission problems. the Grand Prix had the same transmissions problems, but if you can find one with a manual that should prevent the transmission problems

95

I own a 2003 Grand Am SE and my father owns a 2004 Grand Prix GT. The only differences I notice when driving is that the Grand Prix is that the handling is tighter, the interior is slightly bigger and it builds up speed faster. Both are better than the japanese mid-sized cars I've driven.

145

haha i have both in the same year i own a grand am gt white and a grand prix gtp white they are both loved but the grand prix is deff quicker but the top speed of a grand am gt is faster my grand am gt iv had at 135mph the grand prix only 125 ten mph difference the grand prix gtp is bullet proof and the grand am gt simply isnt as much :)

i have a 2003 grand am gt coupe the only problem is that the air conditioner doesn't work right,same with my cousins 01 grand am se mine only has 77 thousand miles. they are really comfortable. plus they are really quick. honestly theres not alot of cars that i wold take over this car.

130

My 2.4dohc se is simply quick and comfortable with medium class gas mileage and roomy interior for a compact sedan. The only thing I need to worry about is overheating, replacing original coolant is a must while related parts are replaced back to back at least once(temp sensor, radiator fan relay switch,hot hoses, watch your window relays and I hear brake problems I've only had an uneven drum rotor myself) My sister just acquired a 98 prix gt, with over 200k and it still performs!

10

Originally, in 1973, the Grand Am gave you the luxury of a Grand Prix with the performance and handling of a Trans Am. After 1975 it doesnt matter, they're all crap.

ok this says Skyler but this is his mama \ I have both 99 using the grand prix as my parts car can say my grand am was hit n the car was safe to Skyler in the back seat\ I found this grand prix same yr n style the head was warped n no good so we just gutted the body n redid mine some one stole my Cadillac converter it fits, the difference is my grand am se has bigger motor plus its a v6 now forget foreign cars n Ford's as long as u have a Chevy GMC or Dodge or a grand am it's cheaper to fix easier to find parts n live as a True American

40

Who cares they're both junk!