2004 grand prix won't crank new starter and battery when i turn the key silence

Asked by May 01, 2014 at 10:10 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

7,985

fuel pump dead? no hisss?

120

neutral safety switch?

795

Neutral safety switch is only for ignition ....if you turn the key and don't here a humming or hissing sound the fuel pump is bad

795

Make sure to check fuel pump relays and fuses before removing the fuel pump

4,405

A bad fuel pump won't prevent the engine from turning over. Look at the obvious stuff first. Make sure its in park. Check battery connections and starter connections. Also check that the new battery actually has a charge on it. It's unlikely that something else coincidentally just happened to fail at the exact same time you were replacing the battery and starter, although it has been known to happen.

505

bad fuel pump will never cause a no crank situation. i dont understand what these ppl are saying. neutral safety switch is for crank signal not ignition. please jason and ton do not mislead people with misinformation, your gonna make the guy replace things that arnt needed, please get your basic knowledge intact (or better yet do not post your "help"). We are talking about a no crank situation.

505

first off, is there a click noise when attempting to start? yes- check battery, if battery good, check ground, meaning ground engine to chassis to confirm. if no click then check for power at signal wire on starter. most likely no power. so maybe a neutral safety switch or ignition switch or the immobilizer system (could be the antenna ring around ignition lock). although immo on euro cars (which im familiar with) cut fuel not crank usually. Omegaed please give feed back on results and if what i said is unclear. And btw, check all fuses first of course as this would be classified as a electrical problem. (yes possibly a starter relay as well)

7,985

well.. if no crank , it can be a security issue. coded key might not be read ; resistor key fail. i'm not sure if newer gm's still have ignition module wiring above the steering column but they do fail.

795

And Jason crank signal is a part of ignition we're stating a part of the obvious he turned the key and heard nothing ...the fuel pump is the first thing you should hear..then check the electronics .....get your facts straight homie..who are you to tell anyone not to post anything we all try to help one another and he should be smart enough to get it checked out before buying anything

10

Hey everybody i have a 04 pontiac grand prix 3.8. And my problem started from driving down the road n suddenly it started hesitating then shut off leaving my lights work horn but no power no click noise nothing after dealing wit different mechanic God finally sent m the rite one he check my car out over n over to see why no start no click finally he found the problem a couple of blown fuse and by the fuse box underhood. Right underneath the fuse box is my car hornest wires the big one it has a black plastic cover over it qhen he inspect the wires they were all skin back from my belt of my alternator the long tension belt my wires was rubbing against that and it cause it to split my wires these wires control everything starter fuel pump etc. My fuel pump wouldn't work on its on so they hot wire it that how it crank but when he discover my wires all peel off and not getting good connection he fix and my fuel pump is working back on it's on with no wire i use to have a problem starting up i would have to give it a little gas when i start but now it crank up and run like a champ I'm so bless i wanted to share wat i discover about my car problem i too was reading trying to find a solution too i do hope it help somebody let not people tell u different i thought my problem was electric but it wasn't or security it was that have a bless day any question please email me

20

What's your email ??

20

I have a 2004 grand prix gtp was running great and all the sudden it said "traction control " off and service and then it said engine power loss or reduce and then it stoped running and now it won't turn over won't even click it was raining heavy when this all happed I'm so sad about it I just want my car back so bad and I'm scared to bring to the dealer because well they will probably tell me a bunch of crap and rip me off

4,405

It's unlikely a dealer will tell you a bunch of crap and try to rip you off. What they will do is read the codes, do some other diagnostics and give you a repair estimate. All of that will cost you some money at a dealership hourly rate which is typically quite high. There are lots of smaller independent repair shops who will do the same sort of thing for somewhat less money. If you want your car to run again, and if you're not able to fix it yourself you're going to have to pay a professional to do it for you.

40

I have an 03 grand Prix gt. I'm getting no signal to the starter. I have full power when I turn the key on, but it won't crank. I have to jump the starter and it runs fine.

40

Have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. Wont start. If I jump it. Sometimes it will start, other times it wont. But if I put in nutral roll the car forward, of backwards. Thin put it in park it'll start. Someone please help me with this problem

4,405

Create a new thread and post your question there. Only a handful of people will see it on an old thread like this one.