Diagnosing start problem, 2006 Grand Prix

Asked by Jul 27, 2013 at 02:53 PM about the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix

When trying to start the car, just get multiple clicks of the starter/solenoid. Same thing with jump. Back in the day, I would have been confident that the starter/solenoid was the problem, but after reading about the various things that can interfere with starting on newer cars I'm not so confident. Is there a way for me to better identify the problem?

100,495

You didn't state what engine you had. Voltage drops are a big problem, make sure your battery cables and connections are very clean and tight, check for battery voltage at the starter solenoid, then check for voltage on the starter side with someone turning the key to start if voltage is present then the starter is bad if voltage is not present then solenoid is bad, depending on the mileage on your vehicle then you might just replace the whole starter as a unit. Hope this gave you some ideas what to check.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's a 3800 series III. I should've said that. Checked the battery first thing. It's dead now and I've been using a charger to try to start. I'll try to describe what I'm seeing and hearing: When I turn the ignition key to the start position, I hear a rapid series of clicks. If I let go of the key, leaving it in the RUN position, those clicks continue. I have to turn the key either to the ACC or OFF position for the clicks to stop. The clicking makes me think it's the solenoid, but the fact that the clicking continues as I described makes me think it's something else.

100,495

Trying to use a Battery Charger/ Booster unit to start the engine could damage computer or other electronic systems, recharge the battery and then test it, if it fails replace it, then try to start the engine with a fully charged battery, all of your problems may disappear when your voltage and amperage are stable.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Yeah, I pulled the battery and someone's on the way to run me over to NAPA. I'm going to hope that the battery is the problem. I appreciate your help and thanks again.

Final follow-up: replacing the battery fixed the problem. Thanks very much to "tennisshoes". Everyone have a great day.

20

Hi, I'm having the EXACT same problem Replaced battery with brand new battery but car still will not start. HELP PLEASE