Does anyone think a 1990 Plymouth Laser would be a good first car? Pros? Cons?

30

Asked by Jul 12, 2013 at 10:38 PM about the 1990 Plymouth Laser

I'm trying to find a good, cheap, first car? Found one for $775 that's in decent shape.

smell the exhaust....smell the interior...if you can live with both of these smells that's a pretty good deal (if not in the rust-belt)~

Why so cheap? got a cajillion miles on it?....a vehicle in which someone was murdered? Open the hood and look underneath for evidence of a prior overheat....I owned a '61 cadillac that tne engine was cooked and brought back with a new gasket set....but the connecting rods did not sound right like a coffee can full of mud, that one...would leave you stranded....check out my garage for pictures...a cool lookin' car and only $500 Wisconsin 1985 dollars~

I was pushing the car in that photo, 'cause it wouldn't start....get used to that if this is a "buggy" in other words full of bugs~...not bunny~

30

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/ctd/3917785968.html doesn't list the miles, probably some crazy amount. I haven't looked at it in person yet. It's a two hour drive one way so i wanted to get an idea of what people thought before possibly wasting time!

30

might not be a good sign that there's no pics with the hood open haha

19,715

It's 7 hundred dollars!! A set of tires costs more than that! And they are cool little cars with a reputation for long lives- how can you lose?! unless there's lots of rust, or smashed body panels, or the engine's spitting up coolant and oil, or its been in a flood, or it has a Seinfeld smell- Hey, go drive it- you might get lucky- call the owner and ask him these things- maybe he just needs the money

do the headlights ever stop winking, I wonder~?

underhood probably shows signs of an overheat~

2,165

kts a great car but parts are hard to look for that car.

24,115

BAD CHOICE! If you've only got $1,250 to spend ..do not spend it on ANY Plymouth/Dodge/Chrysler product. Here's ONE reason WHY the 1990 Laser is a poor choice (per MSN Autos): A periodic problem on this vehicle is failure of the Four Speed Automatic Transmission ----- The cost to repair the Four Speed Automatic Transmission with a new transmission is estimated* at $1,750.00 for parts and $279.50 for labor. ------ The cost to repair the Four Speed Automatic Transmission with a rebuilt transmission is estimated* at $200.00 for parts and $800.00 for labor. Transmission failure may be too severe to rebuild. ----- Want to see more information, go to: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=1991&make=Plymouth&model=Laser#Engi

Best Answer

for a first car GOOD choice...you aren't going to care if the tranny is a crashbox...you just need a car. Seems like a good choice to me, because it is cheap..Racer_X did not grow up in the salt-environment of Wisconsin, where a 50 dollar car is an everyday thing~

24,115

Doesn't matter WHERE I grew up @ Judge Roy...An unreliable car for a young person on a tight budget and ONLY $1,000-$1,250 to spend is a nightmare scenario. Also, you should really read the link I posted....The costs to repair the tranny ALONE would be double what she pays for the car and that's ONLY ONE problem that I listed...there are others..Let's have a look: Periodic problems on this vehicle are failures of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the Idle Speed Control Motor and the Timing Belt. Failure of the Timing Belt applies to 2.0L DOHC engines only and will prevent the vehicle from starting. If the Timing Belt breaks while driving, the Engine Valves are usually damaged. The cost to repair the PCM is estimated* at $950.00 for parts and $52.00 for labor. The cost to repair the Idle Speed Control Motor is estimated* at $250.00 for parts and $32.50 for labor. The cost to repair the Timing Belt is estimated* at $50.00 for parts and $299.00 for labor. The cost to repair the Engine Valves is estimated* at $296.00 (non-Turbo) or $460.00 (Turbo) for parts and $780.00 (non-Turbo) or $845.00 (Turbo) for labor.

24,115

There's also this problem: This vehicle was originally charged with R-12 refrigerant which is no longer being manufactured. The refrigerant is still available, but it is very expensive ($25.00-$50.00 per pound, 2-5 pounds per vehicle). Conversion to the new R-134A refrigerant is possible, at an average cost of about $100-$250 parts and labor.

a buggy that goes when you press the go pedal~ that was the criterion...costs and unavailability of such luxuries as air-conditioning are secondary to the finanacial concern...something to get you to the store and back...darn sight nicer than a '73 gremlin that had worm-and sectors steering with NO dampener---whoooof, that was a tough ride to contend with for a new driver (me)...then~

56,795

Nope, in 1987 the company I was working for bought a (then) new Laser. It was absolute junk. Was in the shop more than I was driving it!! HTH. -Jim