How can i tell what type of 3000gt i have? it just says passenger car for the type, how can i tell if its a base or a sl?

175

Asked by Apr 15, 2012 at 04:23 PM about the 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

65

on the title model would say sl.. i have a 95 sl

65

you could always look up the vin number aswell.. call your local mitsu dealer they can provide the answer

325

sl has leather seats, base cloth, and vr-4 is awd and a 3.5tt. or thats at least what i know

175

Well I found a thing online that said the sohc is the base the dohc is the sl and the vr4, well everyone knows that one lol

325

That is also true, but some people put the dohc heads on the base.

175

yes people do do that but having leather seats in the sl is an option that you can add to it

175

This is the sohc

175

this is the dohc, if someone were to switch it you could obviously tell it wasnt suppose to be there

95

Base is SOHC (161 HP) while SL is DOHC engine (222 HP). It is generally written on the engine cover, and you can usually tell the difference between a dual overhead cam and a single overhead cam. Also, there is generally a badge on the rear of the car (SL), however, some cars are debadged, so you can't always be sure. Call the dealer with your vin to be sure.

95

I would not switch engines. These cars are pretty old, and unless the body is flawless, it is not worth it. And if the body is flawless, why would there be something wrong with the engine? Also, Not sure on the gearing of the transmission if it would be the same on the base and SL. It is certainly different on base and VR4. I had both cars. The clutch might need to be upgraded to handle the extra HP, so there goes another few hundred. Just byuy a VR4. I sold my 95 VR4, 93K miles for $10K a few months ago, mint condition, with boost controller, and summer and winter tires. Good luck.

175

Well I'm not switching engines I'm just making sure I have the sl not the base model

90

LOL so of you need to do lil more research. The base and the SL had the same motor in the first and second gens, it wasn't until the third ten in 97 that the base went to the SOHC. But just so you know all the motors and all the trannies are the same, just with diff options. The VR4 has same tranny as the base just with a extra gear added. Best test is the vin number, the base has an "H".