01 spyder with 140,000 miles

Asked by Dec 17, 2015 at 09:15 AM about the 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder

i have a mechanic replacing a timing belt, water pump, plugs and wires, valve cover gasket, and engine mount and he calls and tells me he found a hole in the head. is this something that he could have done or does it happen over time??
he already quoted a fee and now adding head on is turning into a nightmere.
i love my car and do not want to give it up! have had lots of lies from mechanics as well..
help me out please..he has had it for 5 days

thanks
julia

25,255

I think you meant "head gasket," at 140K I wouldn't doubt it needs new head gaskets. To replace the head gaskets would typically mean removing the heads, and in overhead cam engines like yours, that would involve removing/re-installing the timing chains. Since you already are replacing the timing chains, the cost for the head gaskets should add a fee but not as big a fee if it were a stand-alone job. I think it would have been remiss of him not to check the head gaskets if he were already replacing a timing chain, and now would be the time to do those.

thanks-but he found a hole in the head-not in the gasket...he is replacing the entire head of the engine....jus wondering if its possible that he could have did it while working on car...not sure. thanks julia

25,255

ouch. I don't want to think about what this is costing you. Unfortunately it's when you start tearing into an engine that you start finding these problems. I don't think he could have 'accidentally' punched a hole into one of the heads, with age and lots of miles on them, a head can become warped, cracked, etc. At this point, you are almost rebuilding the engine.

I am not a mechanic but a mechanic told me That when a timing chain breaks it can cause damage to the engine. Were you driving and the chain broke or did you have the chain replaced as routine maintenance . If it broke an 800 dollar job becomes a 2500 dollar job

no. the dealer recommended the belt to be replaced. one thing led to many other troubles. my question is simply..could the mechanic have caused the hole in the head? if not, how does that happen anyway?? thanks Julia