1999 Mercury Grand Marquis won't turn over

20

Asked by Feb 08, 2016 at 12:49 PM about the 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis

I had thought it was my battery at first so I replaced it so
next thought was that it was my starter. After having a
friend look at it he said it wasn't that and my fuel pump
isn't getting any power and the relay wasn't clicking when
it should. Any idea what it might be?

4,905

as you know the three critical components are Air, Fuel, spark...compression and timing~ Battery should be NEW, and the terminals clean...loops clean, and the auxilliary red loop coming off the red cable needs to be cleaned too...also the negative terminal has a secondary connection that goes to the block...be sure that one carries the required 50 amps needed for starting~ I suspect WEAK battery...get a new one...will have clean stud terminals...then get new cables too...ain't that much money~ then with fresh power when you turn the key, if that doesn't solve your problems...post your problem again~

1,205

Replace that fuel pump relay.

1,205

also make sure the inertial cut-off switch in the trunk on left side hasn't been tripped.

4,905

starter relay is in a goofy canister mounted on the fender~ feelin' risky, you might take a pliers and imitate the action of this by shorting the hot and starter Cables...like imitating the goofy ford starter relay!~ then we'd know for certain this component is faulty!~

1,205

It doesn't crank over? The the above is good. Maybe a burned fuseable link near the battery, or the relay. cranks but doesn't start, replace fuel pump relay.

4,905

this car might have an emergency fuel shutoff (or it might burst into flames)...maybe located in the trunk...if there...should be....somethin' can research...right now have no time for that...but shrooms, LSD, or hallucinigens Trippmeister (with two p's...Germanic origin) has been a Mechanic? or just a poor guy who had to become a Mechanic on Acct all the cars were salt- belt rust buckets that no one wanted any more...the ole Rust- floor (or fred flintstone) floor...had perhaps 26 of these in my youth including Beetles squarebacks and dasher...and my favorite the Quantum~ wish they still existed...but have met with all kinds of problems with my "expert at all makes and models" Greenworld, parker+telegraph Sunday mechanic...lotsa tow- ins...kept me busy for awhile~ and the Trippster, still a mechanic?

4,905

LOCKED UP....on account of the FREEZE...seen this more than once...our victim must try to turn the main crank by hand...we may be okay yet!~

4,905

kinda proud of that one...an underground place in Chicago...thank you very much~ currently on display at the Compassion Center, Clearlake, CA 95422 on Olympic blvd...one of my secret galleries that I don't have to pay for....the art house charges 30/month and three days volunteer time....screw that...my art is all over this town...people love it~!

20

When I turn it it does click. So would that still be the relay?

4,905

great...does the motor turn? or is it LOCKED UP?~

4,905

you may have to get a 1/2 socket wrench and turn the main crank bolt~ get someone who's got tools to help ya~

4,905

you may want to look into a used engine, this might save a bunch of screwing around with something which is kinda wasted https://www.google.com/? gws_rd=ssl#tbm=shop&q=1999+Mercury+Grand+Marquis+engi ne&spd=12941093283440916063

20

It totally turns just doesn't turn over. Replaced the battery, terminals are clean and recently replaced.

4,905

had a feeling..cannot begin to tell you the amount of money I've spent on a motor...new starter, relay battery switch....to discover that it had a cracked block and was ruined...fortunately there were tons of datsuns (at the time, at the junkyard bout 5 in hayward) and put the old motor and transmission in for a couple of hundred bucks the tranny was a 5 speed instead of a 4 so it was a step up for me, but you see that link that shows what's up there...there is a matter of delivery and installation too~ so this ain't gonna be cheap...sorry~

4,905

okay could not get it to post properly, but is 1025.24 ~

1,205

I was a mechanic with a shop during all of the 70's, part of the 80's. I've worked on cars for 60 years. I've owned every kind imaginable. No rust here in Calif, but there was in Ohio.

4,905

wow...glad to have met you~ ...and you still have all your fingers and have not gone blind from brake cleaner spraying you...nor gotten cancer from washing bearings in the safe-T-kleen tank...and still you survive...I also had 25 or so cars....clearly Toyota is the most reliable out there~ hang in there...they won't let me work anymore because of MS...used to be an Engineering Drafter~ list is huge~ conveyors for products that you already use...casers, packagers, Cooling loops and Cryogenics...Piping for the petrochemical industry...Satcom for the military~ many damned things...evinrude, briggs and stratton...these companies still existed in 1987 when I left Milwaukee for San Francisco Bay area~

1,205

What a way to meet :) I'm in SF bay area also. I was an engineer for a while (industrial). I always thought drafting was great. I'm still around, even though I painted cars with toxic stuff, also. Sorry for your condition, must be tough to quit working. I had to have my neck fused, but I can still play guitar, and crawl under cars. I now have a Jag to fool around with. You can see some of my cars on my website, as well as other stuff. www.cwtripp.com

4,905

I've listened to your very persuasive sound...all songs original...like they should be~ my pal Dave Kaffinetti, from spinal tap (the only actual British) keyboard player with a handkerchief on his head plays in a band called sez-u and a fellow named Randy also creates and plays his own songs ONLY...played along with my bass, but his ear only hears DAVE at the keyboard~ my only connection to the music industry~ mostly I like JAZZ more then Country...but each has it's shining stars~

4,905

my latest painting...No. 317 Guenoc~