My battery light is on I have a 2002 Mercury Sable, I have a new battery and alternator, Cables are clean,

Asked by Sep 30, 2015 at 11:30 PM about the 2002 Mercury Sable

Kelly Mayo

is it charging then...or not????

If both the battery and alternator are new, you need to have them checked to make sure that the battery is fully charged and holding the charge, with a battery load tester (Any auto part supply store will usually do this free of charge), and you need to have the alternator checked to make sure it is charging ( you wouldn't be the first person to get a new part that is bad right from manufacture). If they are both good you need to start following wires and connectors to make sure that they are all attacked properly, that no wires are broken, and that all ground connections in the engine compartment are clean and tight, not just the connections on the battery cables. It is possible that if your alternator has a small plastic plug in connector at the back or it by the main cable terminal, that it is not plugged in or not seated in properly. Let us know.