I can get the key into the ignition but I can not get the key to turn so that I can start the car.

35

Asked by Oct 07, 2007 at 02:33 PM about the 2001 Mazda Tribute

I was having trouble getting the key into the ignition  and then I was able to get it all the way in.   Now I can not get the key to turn so that i CAN start the car.  The steering wheel is also locked.  What should I do?

43,495

You may need to jiggle the steering wheel, sometimes the locking mechanism causes you not to be able to turn the key, and jiggling the wheel while trying to turn the key gently may help.

25

I had that same problem once, and i spent about five minutes trying to get it to turn. I asked my dad what the deal was cause he used to drive it, and he told me to just jiggle the steering wheel,, like the smart guy ^ said.

40

if that hasnt worked--- first make sure the things all the way in park--- i know sounds dumb but it happens-- then if it didnt work jiggling it -- your igntion switch and or lock tumbler went bad-- just a thought

155

I actually did this once when I first got my tribute. Apparently after I turned the car off and got out of the car I grabbed the steering wheel or atleast bumped it where the steering wheel locked and the key didn't turn to start it. I panicked and sent my bro to go down the street to our house (since we were in the neighborhood) and while he was gone I looked in the owner's manual and it said to gently pull the wheel either left or right and turn the key at the same time to get it to start.

10

I have a 2002 Mazda Tribute and I could not get the key to turn in the lock. I searched the Internet high and low and spotted a suggestion of placing an orbital sander on the end of the key and hey presto within 3 minutes the key was operating. (vibrated the tumblers back into place) I have now removed the lock and taken it to a locksmith who will refurbish it. After 7 days of trying everything this simple technique worked. I had all sorts of advice from mechanics to locksmiths and was getting ready to have it towed

10

I was unable to press down on brake pedal or turn the key in ignition. Jiggling the steering wheel worked as mentioned in comments above. I have a 2002 mazda millenia. Thanks guys.