yes i have a question..

25

Asked by Jun 16, 2008 at 02:30 PM about the 2001 Mazda MPV

yes i have a question...my  2001 mazda mpv is making  a strange noise and it seems to be coming from the theair filter

...i had a certified mechanic look at it and he has never heard anything like it.he suggested that i check up on any recalls..everytime we move the steering wheel it makes the noise.

i was wondering if there was a recall on the steering colum...i cannot afford to take my vehicle to the dealer..

i have been very happy with the van..ive never recieved anything in the mail regarding any of the recalls is it to late to take it in to have them look at it with no charge..

please let me know what my options are..the noise on the vehicle seems to be getting worse...thank you..sharon moreno

7,755

The air filter is making a noise? Not likely unless it a bad filter...More likely is the filter box is loose and rattling against something but you weren't very specific on what kind of noise it was so that doesn't help... As for it making noise when you turn the wheel that could be a handful of things, once again please be specific on what you're hearing and if it seems to be coming from the steering column or from the engine bay. First check the level of your power steering fluid if it gets low it can pull air into the system which can make some unusual sounds or it could be the seal are just getting dry. You goto most automotive supply places, or even walmart, you can get a bottle to poor into your power steering reservoir that can help problems like that. For future reference you can usually google your year+make+model+"recall" to get recall information... Here's what I found doing just that http://www.automallusa.net/2001/mazda/mpv/recalls.html

85

But even so, it might also be his power steering, cause he was noting that everytime he moved the steering wheel, it made a noise, but that wouldn't explain the airfilter, its possible that his air filter is rubbing up against something, since that happened in my friends nissan 300zx, but i'm not sure where the airfilter is located on an MPV.

110

sounds like it could be a wheel bearing also i just but to wheel bearingings in an 02 mpv a good way to tell is if the noise changes when turning usually about30 mph plus and it changes when going over dips in the road to pin point just raise front of vehicle of the ground have someone run the vehicle up to speed and use a stethascope to listen place it on the back of the knuckle where the axle enters you should hear a growling in that area if you hear no noise you have a problem else where

225

if that is the 3.0l engine i know that the iac likes to make noise through the airbox. but also make sure the airfilter is not clogged. also you can take the steering wheel off the car and adjust the clockspring. the tributes do the same thing almost makes a "duck" type sound.

525

your problem is likely in the throttle body, it may have a light coating of carbon build-up. This can be cleaned with a thottle plate cleaner. Also your IAC valve will have the same deposit on it. Clean it with the same cleaner. The noise should stop. The reason you may hear it when you move the steering wheel is because of a power steering pressure switch that bumps up your timing momentarily to compensate for the steering pump labouring the engine a bit. ( This is all normal) The increased idle will cause the pintle on the IAC valve to shake a bit which makes the noise and is resonated through the air cleaner. Sometimes replacing the IAC valve will fix it too. I recomend cleaning it first. new one is about $100.

20

I have a 2001 Mazda MPV es my self.. I know exactly what your talking about.. It is your IAC, take it apart and clean with carbon cleaner, if doesn't work, like said above

20

You'll have to replace it.. $80-120 depending on where you go..

5

I have that issue now. Plus the MPV Van was built in 2000 of Nov but the actual van is noted as a 2001. So my replacement IAC is really not a 2001 but a 2000. Thus the confusion when you buy a NEW IAC valve. Just a heads up!