How can I repair steering wheel tilting function on 2002 Millenia?

Asked by Mar 19, 2008 at 02:48 PM about the 2002 Mazda Millenia

The tilt steering wheel function on 2002 Millenia stopped working several days ago. When the adjustment button on steering wheel column is moved, you can hear a whirring sound. But there is no movement and the steering wheel does not move like it normally used to move up as you remove key from ignition switch. Couold this be a case of a blown fuse/relay or signs of worse things to come?

6,485

sounds like a stripped gear

40,245

Yes, this may require replacement of the column if the gear assemblies are no longer sold.

725

Try taking the motor off by taking off the steering wheel surrounds and unsrewing the 4 screws holding it in. If the long screw type mechanism inside is stripped then another one from a junkyard would be too hard to find. It will be full of black gunk so first try cleaning it, regreasing it and putting it back on and that does the trick most of the time. Here is a pic of the motor, it is the thing at the bottom and the 4 bottom most screws are what you need to take out.

90

do I have to remove the lower plastic piece on the column? If so there are four screws and I can see some kind of clips looking from behind and underneath the column towards the steering wheel. How do you pop the clips off the upper plastic piece? Can you help? Would you email an answer. Thanks for the picture. Are the screws the ones at the lower part of your picture or the ones under the column with the plastic cover?

85

sownds to me like the link between the agustment and the keeper is broke

90

If you look at thepic above from Steven2388 there are four screws/bolt next to the hose on the right of the pic. Or is the motor in the column itself?

90

I took the motor off cleaned ad it is working great but once I put it back on screwed into place nothing. Is the pin with the wheel on the end jammed? You can see the wheel in stevens pic

725

Take it off again, and while your screwing it back in make the motor turn so that screw at the end of the motor aligns itself with the top part.

170

My tilt does not work but I have taken the motor off and applied power and it works fine........is there a relay perhaps that could be fault and where is it located?

390

yes tihs is my problem also

390

I have a 1998 mazda millenia with the exactly problem.How do you adjust the steering column manaully?

10

I've just had the same problem. Motor is done will have to go toa mazda dealer for a new one. After removing the motor held by the four screws, get your fingers greasey. Feel for the grease covered gear and spin it. You should be able to make the steering column go up or down.

Tilt wheel motor is turning on a plastic gear. If you hear the motor working then the teeth on the gear might be broken off. It's not that hard to replace. The motor alone is stupid expensive! You can get a whole column at the junkyard and just take the motor or gear off and use that. That's what I did. Plus you get a warranty from the junkyard if it doesn't work! Hope this helps