faulty catalytic converter

Asked by Jul 04, 2014 at 05:44 PM about the 2003 Mazda MPV

Engine light came on took it to auto zone code came back PO431 trying to find out how
Long can I drive it before getting it repaired n is it costly

101,765

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0431 -- check this out for possible causes and solutions.

56,845

As long as you're not having other issues you can continue to drive it. Depending on the converter and shop you choose you can be looking at several hundred dollars. Check out rockauto.com for prices. You'll need to know if you have federal or California emissions. The emissions decal under the hood will tell you. But definitely shop around for this. HTH. -Jim

20

just remove the converter from the front housing ( 3 or 4 bolts) take a long chisle or screwdriver and a hammer, tape on the filter inside ( its gonna feel solid but it will knock threw) knock threw it until its clear

101,765

Lol yes that works to but not legal in some states. Also if you do this might want to put a piece of black tape over where your check engine light is cause it will stay on for ever. I don't advise doing this to your vehicle.

56,845

Dandy is right. Those days are gone! It is illegal, in all 50 states, and, since this is an OBD II vehicle the check engine light will remain on. The downstream oxygen sensor will pick up on the catalytic converter not working. HTH . -Jim

100

as far as emissions it will code until you fix and may cause further issues with other emission sensors like o2 and maf sensor and fuel and exhaust issues. some vehicles have 2 catalytic converters but the part may be around 300$ Canadian and up and then labor so 400-600$ at most shops

10

Well this summer I waa on the highway and my car began to pull back and I start feeling air pressure on my feet my engine light came on and all I could do is pray hopeing It didn't break down in me on that long stretch. However, I began to call the car dealership where got my car from a ywar in a half prior, and they claim that it waa nothing they could do. So I called the mazda dealer and they gave me directions how to get to there location but as I was talking to them my engine light start blinking so they told me to pull over as soon as it was safe to do so. Well I was bless to come across an exit, and drove right to a auto shop. They ioenmy hood and said they have never seen nothing like it! When J went to see what they was talking about it waa so obivious that my ERG valve had a good quarter size hole in it! When I got it repair they informed me that the catalyc converter had so much trash built up in it that it blew a hole in the ERG valve. So they cleaned it out and replaced the valve, now this past two weeks my engine light been on again, today it start blinking. Does it ever stop I really need a new car. It is totally redeculis I pay a $350 carnote for a "2003" and my warranty doesn't cover anything. It's a week after Christmas who have the money, energy, or the time to even deal with this.

20

I have a 2001 Mazda MPV van LX series. My husband took the catalytic converter that is downstream I think by the muffler. Any way he said it's like there's rocks in it and was going to do what Brian posted...Hawaii doesn't require smog devices or the catalytic converter. Someone told him the racers put some king if plugs in the converter do you know where I could get that, I have a minimum income and already I can't afford to buy something that will cost approximately $ 200 with freight. Can anyone help ? Thank you