I have a 2002 Mazda MPV. It needs a new catalytic converter and the engine light is on although it seems to run fine. Is it worth getting it replaced?

Asked by Jun 10, 2011 at 11:43 PM about the 2002 Mazda MPV LX

Emissions test if due on it 8/1/11 so was told we must replace the catalytic converter. Plan to take it on 9 hour trip soon. Risks? Also the back tail light is out. When is it not worth fixing these things and getting a new car? I love the Mazda MPV's. What car is similar to this one? Any Hybrids like this car?

just relace the converter.

Thanks for your reply! I am interpreting your brevity as indicating, OK lots of details here but you need to do what you need to do and that is to replace the catalytic converter. I am in denial because all I am hearing is CHA CHING $$! I got the quote and estimate on the converter (they did a diagnostic test and even showed me the rusting out parts while it was elevated at the shop) so the problem seems legit. I am one of those people who hates to dish out too much money on getting cars fixed when there might be other options. However, I am guessing that I WILL fail my emissions test in August if I go in there with the engine light on. :) I realize that when the cost of fixing your car is higher than getting a new one, you get a new one. I would not define this as a clunker. Have about 106,270 miles on it. I don't think I am there yet but there is enough wrong with my 2002 MPV Minivan that I can feel the need to break up with it (like a comfortable relationship where you've had a great time but you want to move on.) I love this car and it's hard for me to think about getting a different one. I am fine with getting a used vehicle. Does anyone know of any equivalent cars at a reasonable cost? Is it true that they don't make this model anymore? I need a third row seat and I really like the features and feel of the MPV. Except for the name "MPV" which took me three years to finally get right saying, "MPV" instead of "MVP."

why buy new you can get a good one at a salvage yard,after market converter,dealer and mufler shopes try to get deep into your pocket.their are other options out their.sounds like you like this vehicle.look into the cheaper way. we have a tire shop that also does auto work,they installed a after market cat on my blazer total cost was 75 bucks. your milage is kind of low for a 02.stay away from whome you are dealing with.ever heard the saying,they seen you comeing.