I have a 1994 Ford Mustang v6, and i need to swap a carbourated 302 engine from a 1978 Ford Fairmont in. what parts will i need?

95

Asked by Feb 15, 2010 at 04:45 PM about the 1994 Ford Mustang

35

Why would you want that motor in your Mustang? I think it would be less work to swap in a 5.0 from a car of the same year? find a donor that way you'll have everything, crossmember, rear end, trans, suspension and brakes. Just a thought. Good luck!

95

i want the carbourated look, kind of a retro thing. power can be added later

i agree with mike but get v8 mounts from a 93 gt, wiring for the v8. you may haveto get a crossmember from the 93, but everything else should bolt up. what youre doing sounds a little goofy, but i judge you on that.

95

That's exactly it, its goofy, its different, its funny. its not my only car, i have a 240sx and a blazer.... this one is just a project. i just wanna set the motor in and make sure it fits and then start working on it and building it. thanks for your advice!

i like that. just to let you know that i think 93 was the last year for the 302 in mustangs.

125

if u get motor mounts from a 94 5.0 u can use the same crossmember. the crossmember from the 94-95 mustangs is all teh same for the v6's and v8's. Just like everyone else it will be alot of work. but if u want a project then i guess ur prepared for it. Not to be critical, but if u have to ask what parts u'll need u probably shouldn't being doing the swap unless u'll have help with it. the 78 blocks may not be the best to build because those years were in the "detuned gas saver" years, and u should do the engine work to the block with the engine out of the car for sure. i work for a mustang mechanic and believe me we pull the engines alot to build them up.

125

nope 95 was. i had 2 94 mustangs with 5.0s and a friend of mine has a 95 cobra that has a 5.0 from factory.

no big deal. nobodies perfect.

45

I'd say rebuild the 302 before putting it in ur stang its cheaper and easier to work with outside of the car plus It's gonna be such a let down if u just stick it in there as is. The stock 78 302 put out a miserable 138 hp to the crank so u'd be spending money instlling a V8 that will run just like ur V6 if not worse... If I were u and was gonna swap engines I'd go for a Fuel Injected 5.0 or any 351... heck, u can even find a 3v 4.6 from a 2005+ really cheap now a days

45

teh Fox K-member's different from the one in the SN95, he needs a new k-member, cross member and pretty much beef up the whole suspension... not to mention the driveline, housebell, transmission, driveshaft, differential...etc.... He'll be running on borrowed time if he leaves the stock V6 tranny and differential.

45

i did pretty much the same thing in a 96 but went with the 4.6 mod engine instead of the 5.0. You shouldn't need a new k member, i didn't need one. but you might want to consider finding a wrecked 94 or 95 gt and go about your swap that way. Then you'd have everything needed to make a good fast car and keep it drivable. The dash cluster would work, check engine lights, gauges and so forth. Thats just my opinion. if you want to go carbed you'll need a gt transmission or at least the bellhousing to mate to the 302, possibly a new drive shaft, i would up grade the rear axle to the 8.8, gauges, suspension needs to be from a gt, and i'm sure there are a few things i'm missing but let me know if you need anything i still have a ton of stuff leftover from my swap that i'd love to get rid of. Good luck.

45

U were able to reuse ur K-member cuz u were intalling a V8 (4.6) designed for the SN95, this guy wants to stuff an old school short block in his so he does need a new K-member. Probably the one on a 94-95 5.0 will work with little to no modifications or he may wanna go tubular since he'll have to replace most of the suspension, to make the car driveable anyways. It'd be probably way easier to find a wrecked 4.6 and swap everything from it but Carb it. Sullivan Performance sells the plenums to do that. That way he wouldn't have to deal with harness wiring and PATS and get that old school look. Just MO

125

i wasnt pickin on u man. just lettin the person know who asked the original question that he can look for one from a 95.

555

well u need to get a engine that is EFI so that it complies with emission standards for that year of car.

45

Depends on what state he lives in but you're right. I overlooked that cuz I live in Texas and we don't have emissions control over here