My battery died a few days ago(it was my fault , played cds withdoors open doors ) . I jump started car and drove it . next day had to crank 1 min. to get to start ?

Asked by Jul 22, 2015 at 10:21 AM about the 2005 Kia Sportage

After a 3 hour interior cleaning marathon with the doors open and stereo on at full
volume , I found I had drained the battery enuf so that car wouldn't start . I jump started
it and drove for a while and had no problems starting it that afternoon . the next morning
car wouldn't start immediately with turn of key (it always had previously ) . My cars now
behaves like this every morning , although once driven for 5 minutes the car will almost
always start immediately . There are 195250 miles on odometer .

238,095

Mileage has nothing to do with it. sounds like your battery is old and can't hold a charge anymore. Is it over 5 years old? Time to replace. did you check the voltage, put it on a trickle charger? Should be 12.3V. You need to drive the car on the highway for over 30mins to get a decent charge in it from the alternator if the battery is faily new.

Tom makes a very good point. Your battery was probably marginal before, and draining it like you did pushed it 'over the edge' and ruined what life was left. Tom's figure of 12.3 Volts with engine not running is the minimum. Really should be more. And with car running, testing at battery, 13.5V.

But wait, I missed the part about cranking for 1 minute. Do you mean you cranked the engine over for a full minute, 60 seconds, non-stop? If so there is nothing wrong with your battery. Most will burn up the starter doing that, one minute does not sound like a long time, but when you talk about cranking over an engine it is a very long time