Maximized airflow

35

Asked by Feb 23, 2010 at 05:15 PM about the 1995 Ford Mustang

i purchased a K&N cold air intake kit with dual cherry bomb glasspacks, my auto instructor said i should also add shorty headers to that, i want to know, if its best to do that to maximize my airflow? or is it also okay to stay with the stock exhaust manifold. oh and also i have a 95 mustang gt 5.0L fyi

he's partly right. get equal lenth shorty headers. also replace your h-pipe with an x-pipe. you want almost no backpressure, but keep a little so you dont ruin your valves. think about exhaust and fuel flow as water in a hose.

if I were you, I'd invest in a gt-40 intake manifold. You can find these on the 96- EARLY 98 ford explorer 5.0. and buy them from a junk yard for$200 the gains are decent, and the job should only take a couple hours. The fact of the matter on the 5.0 is that bottleneck with airflow is on the intake end, not the exhaust end.

45

yea sounds like ur gettin some good suggestions another thing u could do money space and knowledge permitting is a set of 1.7 roller rokers it bump up valve lift and duration of the cam just a little bit and reduce alot of friction on the top end another plus is that they really dont wear at all the 95 has fly cut valve relifes in the hyperutetic pistons so as long as ur running a stock cam heads and bottom end they bolt on no issues other than with the stock valve covers u can get a taller set if u get a one inch spacer for the intake plenum which will have to be removed for install of rockers but its like addin a cam with 0.030 inch lift with out pullin the cam at all

55

im sorry to say, but shorty headers is balls, its a waste of money, its only for sound. you need an long tube headers with a catted x pipe for max performance and most efficient airflow or you can have an h pipe, its still good but x pipe would sound more high pitched which indicates the airflow is more efficient.

5

you need some Hooker mid length headers, long tubes are too expensive and they'd be worth it if you were drag racing. And i dont know what that kids talking about a catted x-pipe for... you need a non catted H-Pipe, it has better flow and deeper and better tone. X-pipes are shit. Oh and also i'd get rid of those glass packs, those are for redneck trucks. You need some flowmaster super 44's or some 40 series.