squeak

35

Asked by May 06, 2009 at 06:28 PM about the 2001 Jeep Wrangler

I have a 2001 wrangler. I noticed I have this annoying squeak. It sounds like its coming from my front passengers side. It doesnt do it all the time only between 20-35 mph but if I slow down it stops. I had a check out the belts he said they where fine and I had new brakes and rotors put in July 08. I had a full tune up done in November, new tires in October, and I replaced the converter and sensors in January... it runs great just have an annoying squeak. If anyone has any ideas thanks

115

if it goes away and comes back at different speeds and you have been driving on dirt roads recently and went faster than like 5mph on the dirt road then there might be a little stone trapped between the pad and the rotor. Some mechanics and brake peoples will tell you this is not possible but after living at my parents for several years with jeeps, I have pulled several little stones that were grinding themselves against my rotor. In fact just this past weekend I had a boing noise coming from my VW and there was actually a stone tumbling between my steel rim and brake rotor. They are annoying as hell but that would definitely make that sound. The solution would be to take the tire off from the wheel you think its coming form and look for a tiny stone trapped next to your pad. Then take something like pliers and pull or pry it off and the sound so be no longer. If you don't see anything and you just had the brakes done then take it back and tell them to figure it out and fix it.

35

hey thanks ill have to have my brother check that out

65

does it also do it when you take off from a stop? i have that same mystry squeak/rattle-ish

35

Is the squeak coming from the inside or the outside?

35

No it doesnt start squeaking til like 20 mph.

35

Its coming from the outside and it on the passenger side.

115

sounds like a stone but if you didnt find one then I would just say its a bad break pad. have it replaced.

75

Since it is a squeal between certain speeds it could also be your wheel bearing, though a faulty wheel bearing is more likely to cause a clicking sound it is also likely to get lodged or jammed while spinning producing a whine. Is the whine constant at those speeds? Also when you are at these speeds does the vehicle pull/steer towards the passengers side?

115

Elliot might be on to something with the wheel baring. When my dads car was driven though mud from the Mississippi River, is whined and screamed but on ly at certain speeds. Have you ran it in a fine silty mud?

35

No it does not pull to the side at all and its not really a whine more of a squeak. It honestly sounds like a belt but its not .If I step on the break it stops or if i give it the gas it usually stops at higher speeds .No I have not been through any mud or salt. Im just waiting for a day off to have my brother check it out cause he is going to change my fenders. If it is the wheel bearings do you know how much they cost?

75

wheel bearings cost anywhere from 30 to 80 depending on whether or not it's a sealed wheel bearing or a pressed bearing. i'm not too sure with newer jeeps. I know on YJ's it is a pressed bearing which are cheaper just a bitch to change because you might need to use a torch to remove them.

35

Thanks Elliot Im def going to have that checked out.

75

Local jeep enthusiast and mechanic at your service.

35

:)

4,655

Disc Brake pads have a warning squeaker built on them it is a small piece of flat steel that will touch the rotor and squeal and squeek when there is approximately 1 mm of brake pad left. It will sound like a wheel bearing or the Rock lodged in the rotor. This is the third thing to check! When my Sequoia was doing it my first thought was a bearing, then rock, when I looked at the pad it was the culprit. It is a great a simple device to let you know your about to put steel on steel (worn out pad on the rotor)

Has anyone found a resolution to this? I have the exact same problem in my 2015 Wrangler. Dealership has no clue what the problem is.