bronco 2 wont start

40

Asked by May 04, 2014 at 01:59 AM about the 1984 Ford Bronco II

Got my bronco stuck in deep water and mud today. Put logs in ruts and managed to
drive out. Shut it off probaby 10 times during and after no problem. Drove 20 kms
home parked and shut it off now it wont turn over. Nothing no click, just dead. Ive
always had to start it in neutral but when I went to start it this time it was very
slugish feeling on the shifter ( automatic 2.8 ) shifter feels fine now but still nothing. I
had logs pounding under neath trying to get out dont know where to start thanks

35,645

Start by drying out distributor cap. I had a similar problem when I steam cleaned my Bronco years ago.

25,835

Won't crank or cranks but won't start? If it won't crank, look at you connections to the starter. You may have caused the starter to lose it's internal lubrication and the bendix or other internal rusted or otherwise failed by soaking it down with mud and water. The same goes for your Gear selector and Neutral Safety Switch. You could try parking the vehicle over a sprinkler for a while to see if it helps to remove any dirt, mud or other junk. BTW: WD-40 sprayed in the Distributor cap does a great job of clearing water.

40

It wouldnt turn over at all from the key so I tried to cross a screwdriver at the solenoid and it startec right up so does this mean I need a new solenoid new here this johnyappleseed trying to reply thanks guys.

35,645

I'd say everything is good from the solenoid down to the starter. Try changing it out. They're cheap and easy to replace.

25,835

When you bypassed the system by arcing it at the starter, you bypassed the Neutral Safety switch. Didn't you comment that you used to have to start it in Neutral only? Take a good look at the switch that just got a good mudbath.

19,545

when you arc the starter you bypass the solenoid. Which while in the mud/water has liquid mud/water in it so it could still make some contact. Now its dried mud and cant do anything. Take your starter off and clean it out. Let it dry before installing and testing. When you go mudding you break things