Why does my 1999 Hyundai Accent not re-start after short trips and will stall at intersections?

1,020

Asked by Jun 30, 2011 at 02:59 PM about the 1999 Hyundai Accent

HELP!!! My car has started to quit on my for no reason but it will ALWAYS restart.  Sometimes 5 minutes later, sometimes 1 hr. later.  I have had to tow it twice to my mechanics but he can't find the problem because it will always start by the time I get it to him.

190

sounds like you have a a problem with the ignition module that happened to a friends lexus it happens because the module is overheating and shutting down so it shuts off to no melt. check for a wire mouted to the fire wall with a component that has about two bolts or so. you shoud be able to take it to ur nearest autozone or oreilley's store and get ot checked out.

150

I am having the same problem with my 99 Accent. It always restarts sometimes 20 minutes after it dies sometimes an hour or more. I've replace the fuel filer, fuel pump strainer, plugs, wires, and coil pack. When it dies and you try to start it right away it seems as if the engine is spinning over freely with no compression. I've checked the voltage to my fuel pump after it dies and I have pressure at the pump and voltage. So my ignition is functioning as well as the fuel so the only thing I can think is the ECU. I talked to a dealer mechanic who said there may be a wire or union inside the ecu that is spreading apart and losing connection after being used for a period of time... ie normal operating temps. Which could be causing the entire problem.??? Did you try your ignition? Did it work.... Everyone posts questions and never find any decent answers as to what fixes it.. I know not everyone that has this problem is just calling it quits on the cars and junking them.....

140

I have the exact same problem with my 98 accent. I have changed the starter, ignition coil, plugs, and battery. It's driving me nuts. One time I pulled out a spark plug, and cranked it over, and there was no spark to the plug. Then after a while it got spark, and then the engine started like normal (after cooling about 30 minutes). Hopefully someone will find out what this is. Seems like I am seeing more and more posts about this problem.

3,500

you need to get the vehicle scanned with a scanner that will show history codes. more then likely everyone posting has the same problem. the code will be p0335 crankshaft position sensor malfunction. the crankshaft postion sensor is on the side of the engine just below the exhuast manifold. one ten millimeter bolt and one plug to change the sensor. it will wanna stay in the blockif theres any kinda mileage on the car but it will come out. be careful and check the hole for the sensor as the oring will want to stay in the hole and cause a no start if you install the new one on top of it

150

not true... i have one of the best code readers and scanners on the market and when I hook it up to my car it says.... NOT ATTACHED TO CAR..... my ecu isn't sending out a signal.... it does this only when the car has died.... if i connect before i run it i get a reading with no codes... If I connect it after it dies out on me I get nothing... It tells me I am not hooked up to a car.... which obviously I am... thanks for you input but I think I'm just going to blow up the damn car... I'm sick of it!!!!!!!

3,500

oh wow ok sounds like you have a short somewhere or possibly a bad ecm, sorry about my response but in almost 11 years working on hyundais thats the most commmon problem ive seen with the accents. never seen a bad ecm in the 98 or 99 models but theres always a first.obviously your scanners powering up when you connect it and turn it on, but i wonder if you have power and ground at the ecm? sounds like its one that would drive me nuts too!

140

I changed out my crankshaft position sensor over the labor day weekend, and my car has been fine since. I wanted to wait over a week before posting my results. Also, I have two code readers, and one of them did not pick up any codes, but the other one did (the one mentioned in the posts above for the crankshaft position sensor). Hope this helps some of you out!

40

I have a 2000 Hyundai accent and when I drive it seems to just turn off after 5 blocks it will turn over but not start if I just wait about 30 minutes after it stalls it'll go ahead and start right up again and drive another five blocks and do it again...I change the fuel filter got a new battery and I still can't figure out what the problem is...I'm leaning on a new fuel filter...you' I think it's the crankshaft position sensor as well?..

if all else fails, yes.

10

My 2008 Hyundai Accent starts to buck- and feels like it will stall. The check engine light flashes then goes solid. Sometimes it stalls sometimes it doesn't. Had all the coils replaced and a mechanic said no bad codes were left. What is wrong?

10

It's the most common thing a crank angle sensor / crankshaft position sensor both mean the same they cost about $60 from supercheap easy to replace yourself.

10

it sounds like the crank sensor to me because that if you don't have spark that's usually what it is and you can use any scanneryou want but if it aint a snapon scanner you're wasting your time

30

we have a 1999 hyundai elantra 2.0 the car start some times but one day the car quit working on me i had to tow it to my place i left the car for almost a month with out working on the car. M y frien toll me to fix it but we already testes knock sensor, crancksensor, map sensor, injector pulse and nothing happen so we remove tne pcm the is under dash on the driver side we checked for 12 volts to pcm we only had 3v getting to pcm there is relay under the sterring colum the feeds the pcm we check the relay and was not working properly so we put anorther relay and car now runs great hope this can help to some of you guys