Trailer Brake Controller Problems???

25

Asked by Jun 13, 2010 at 07:05 PM about the 2010 Dodge Ram 2500

I have a 2010 2500 with a 6.7 diesel. I have benn using it to tow my 6ton boat with surge brakes and recently put on electric over hydrauic brake system made by Dexter. When i use the controller to put on the brakes, it is almost instant but when i put my foot on the brake pedal  it has a 3 or 4 second delay to engage the trailer brakes. Is this normal? Can his be ajusted? What might be causing this?
Thanks,
         Oscar

110

Trailer brake problem same thing. I am towing a travel trailer and am having two problems that i cant figure out or find literature on. 1 is the delay of the trailer brake from the second i press the pedal it takes a couple seconds to start applying brake. 2 If i adjust the brakes for a setting like 8.0 it never reaches 8.0 i've never seen it go over 4.0 . Now i do realize that the trailer brake is applied gradually but i would expect it to reach it max setting when applied for a several seconds like at a stop light. another thing i haven't tried is slamming the brakes on hard and seeing if that makes a difference. If i figure anything out ill get back to this forum. good luck.

320

i have a 2010 3500 when i am pulling my trailer and i go over a bumb the alarm sounds saying trailer brake disconnected then a second later says trailer brake connected. if i am going over a bumby road the bell sounds every 5 seconds it drives me nuts.

415

possibility- i mean something to try but the trailer does use the receiver ball as the ground point if the inside of your trailer where the ball seats is rusted or dirty or same with actual ball itself you may not be getting a good ground which may cause the trailer brakes to kick in and out especially over bumps but very possibly to do it randomly-- try cleaning both and adding some kind of di-electric grease or some close sort of grease. idea may not fix but is still a good thing to do

11,775

basically what both of you are expiriencing is the fact that trailer brake controllers are measuring your input voltage from your brake pedal, as well as they have a gyro inside that determines how hard the truck is trying to stop, when you manually engage the brakes your immediately putting all the power to the trailer brakes no matter what. ive never had a trailer controller that doesnt have a delay to engage

155

I have a 2500 that does the disconnect/connect problem. It doesn't appear to be bump related because I can shake the s**t out of the wire/trailer and not have any problems. It appears to be speed related and/or time related. The RV dealer says it's the brake controller. The Truck dealer says it's the RV wiring and they only see this problem when the trailer has LED lights. A.) The braking works properly when it's connected. B) I have the same problem with trailers that don't have LED tail lights. I'm about ready to get rid of it and use an aftermarket brake controller.

275

sounds like the controller might have a problem will led light because leds take less voltz to power them it might be tricking the controller into thinking there is nothing hooked up to the truck my o1 dodge does the same thing with my led tail lights makes my turn signall blink fast to let me know the bulb is out

155

Turns out it was in the RV. I decided to trace out the wires and found a Scotch-lock connector that was barely connected inside the RV Floor. I went through and replaced all the Scotch-locks with crimp caps and shrink tubing. No problems at all now. LED lights had nothing to do with the electric brake wire. They are in different pins of the seven way connector. I did learn that the magnets in the electric brakes have an ohm reading just like car speakers. I was able to tell that the ohm reading was a little off and that is what made me trace the wires in the RV. Thanks to Dexter axles for publishing the ohm values in the owners manual. NO thanks to the RV dealer or the truck dealer.

40

I have a 2012 2500 with the 6.7 cummins, and I had the wiring harness replaced once already for the rear of the vehicle. The connector is in the splash zone from the front left tire, and this fills with water when driving in the rain. These are not always sealed, and will cause the trailer brakes to fail. You will never get max current flow to the trailer, due to the bad connect. After I had mine replaced, it functioned fine for nearly 3 thousand miles. But it failed again, and this time I found this out at the worst possible time. It cause me to be pushed by my trailer into the back of another vehicle. Unfortunately dodge will not recognize this as a issue, and tell you that there is nothing wrong with the design. Typical large company trying to brush another design problem under the carpet. This issue has made my truck unsafe to use to tow a trailer. Worst 63 thousand I ever spent.

130

I have a 2015 ram 3500 truck with a factory break controller the brakes worked fine on my trailer for about a week and then trailer disconnect signal come on trailer brakes or gone and coming back on saying connect it did this about 2 weeks and than it quite completely.Anybody have and answers on that?

40

Wish I had an answer for you. My 2015 3500 doesn't have the disconnect problem, it just has very weak brake action. I tow a car trailer, a 15000 pound 5th wheel and small 6000 pound camping trailer and the results are the same - weak trailer brake support. This really got my attention when I picked up our new Jaco Pinnical 5th wheel and almost rear-ended a car at the second stop light. Controller was set to Heavy Trailer electric brakes and gain on 10 (max). Main reason I bought this truck was to tow and am very disappointed with this system. Took it to the dealer and they updated the "moduale software" which made little to no difference. Anyone else having this issue?

My question is on our 2016 2500 ram diesel we don't have the controller in the truck like our 2014 ram 1500 non diesel. We are told it runs off the computer in the truck but we can't find any settings for in on the settings on the dash. We were also told it runs off the electric line that hooks in from the trailer. Are any of these right or do we need to install a brake box inside the truck? We just bought a 43 foot 5th wheel and I want to make sure the brakes will work