Check engine light comes on repeatedly after dealership "fix"

Asked by May 01, 2013 at 04:16 PM about the 2010 Mercury Milan

2010 Mercury Milan in shop 5 times with check engine light on.  (47,000 miles now) On
third trip the dealership installed a locking gas cap (on a car that is manufactured and
sold without a gas cap).  On the fourth visit they said "Dust was in the gas port" and
charged me $150.  I cannot afford to ignore this engine warning but neither can I afford
to pay them every two months for this information and to turn the light off.  Can you
help me?

97,135

Get the codes read at the parts store. Write down the trouble code number and post it here. Someone will advise the most cost effective solution

each time could have been for something else, such as leaving your gas cap off, or overfilling the tank, please let us know what your trouble codes are with a scan tool or go by the auto parts store and they will hook 'er up for free, double back with this info such as "P0001" p meaning powertrain- so please, if we're gonna get to the bottom of this share whatever info is stored with that CEL~

27,255

I would complain if I were you. you have been back multiple times with the same concern and it has not been fixed correctly. what other parts have they replaced can you be specific. I'm guessing you have some evap. leak codes. As the others said post them on here if you can but im sure we will come to find that it will be small medium or large leak in the evap. system in which case we can list off a bunch of things that would cause it and thats about it. I cant hook up a machine over the internet and tell you what excatly it will be unfortunately. But as I said a detailed list of the parts replaced would be appreciated.

The thing that I don't get kbro, is okay, we have a computer, we have a display, we have critical information...why the hell are they being so cryptic with the info...just issue a CHECK ENGINE light, ya, like open the hood and say, "yea, it's still there", but the damned thing treats us like dummies, and will not even speak morse code...it has the intelligence but is keeping it secret....this bugs me~....should be on a running display like pilots get to see what's up with all the systems...would prefer to be treated like a pilot...not like a passenger...fasten seat belts

40

I have a 2006 Mercury Milan , started to have ruff idle then engine light came on then transmission and cruse control with transmission down shifting while driving down highway at 65 miles and hour and a wrench comes on also.On my code reader I was getting codes P0410 and P0491. I went on line and everyone was replacing the throttle bodies.So I replaced the TB. then I was getting codes P0715 and P2258. Went on line and found someone having the same problem. The answer they received was to change the air pump relay.It is in the under hood distribution box. Mine was #58.Large Grey square relay. for the secondary air. My engine is the 4 cly PZEV engine. The relay is a 70 amp high current relay for what the manual calls PETA Pump. (Secondary Air pump) The relay at the Ford dealer cost $40.00. Put in and rechecked my codes after drive home about 80 miles, and motor light is no longer on or the wench All numbers gone, I get a green light for all is OK. 3 months of frustration over. I'm checking the cross numbers with the auto parts store. May be able to get the same relay for around $20.00 Darrell

10

Today my check engine soon light came on . The code they gave me was P06B8. Can anyone help me ?