Replace Brake Light Bulb

Asked by Jan 10, 2011 at 12:47 PM about the 2009 Volkswagen CC

I have a bulb burned out in my left rear brake light (2009 CC Sport).  I am going to try to replace myself.  Has anyone done this?  Is there any trick to it?

120

Access the brake light through the trunk behind a lining panel. Pinch the light housing to remove it from the tail light. Pull out the bad light and plug in the new one. The housing will snap back into place with minimal effort.

4,715

the process can be trickier than you think. i would suggest you to take help of a dealer. http://bit.ly/l3iHLd

60

I'm working on this now - thanks for all the replies here! I've run into 2 major problems, however: (1) it's taken an inordinate amount of time to find out precisely WHICH EXACT TYPE of bulb to purchase as a replacement; (2) Getting even the OLD BULB BACK INTO the socket it came from is next to impossible.. The old bulb on my PAssat comes out but *WILL NOT* go back in again - if I force it any more than I have, it will break. So I probably won't be able to get the new bulb to snap in either. Also it's nearly impossible to get at it if you've got the box installed in the left aft of the trunk compartment for the CD changer. Also I have attempted to register at the VW Vortex site which will NOT accept registrations to post (???!). Another example of VW forcing customers to the dealership for something minor so the dealerships can make $$$. The longer I own my beloved 2003 PASSat, the angrier I become at VW for what it does to customers who have paid $$$$ for its product.

350

Do NOT go to a dealer. It took forever to figure out...but I'll try to make it clear for YOU. First.....AutoZone has the bulb.....Sylvania 921LL (long life) for $4.99 11/12 Remove the bulb FIRST and take it with you...it's NOT the first one that comes up in their listings for this car. Installation: Open the panel from the inside of the trunk....just YANK it off...you're not going to break anything. It's connected,hinged, at the front. Here's the tricky part. Put a BIG light in the cavity so you can see what you're doing. The ENTIRE white housing about 6 inches long has to come out....and it's EASY once you know how. There is a metal piece that you have to pull toward you. You cannot see it...you have to feel for it. It is about 1/3 of the distance from right to left....just beyond the piece with the wiring that sticks out the most. Draw it toward you and pull the entire white housing out. NOW it's easy to replace the bulb......and put the housing back jusyt lie you took it out. It snaps back in. Easy as 3.14159. Enjoy this picture of my Middle School Chess Club. kj

30

Johnsok's answer is spot on. I just had both the right and left brake lights out and went to Advanced Auto Parts for replacement bulbs. They told me the bulb was #7440, and this is the bulb number that comes up on all searches. However as Johnsok writes above, it is Sylvania 921LL. I returned and got the 921LL bulb and easily replaced them. This is the only forum where 921LL is mentioned. The actual replacement could not have been easier once I had the correct bulb in hand, but check the bulb that is in there first. 7440 was not correct (and it's more money too). 921LL is correct...at least it was for me!

Great answer to a what could have been a brain teaser . Use to working on other cars . Thanks for your help and have a great Christmas .

Yes the Sylvania 921LL bulb is the correct replacement. AutoZone recommended me the #7440 but didn't trust them based on the size of the bulb. Thanks John's!