My honda accord won't run. Help?!

Asked by Jan 07, 2015 at 11:20 AM about the 1997 Honda Accord

So I broke down a week and a half 2 weeks ago on the side of the highway. As I broke down my thermostat was all the way as high as it could go, so i pulled over a bunch of grey whitish smoke came out from under my hood. i tried to start it again after it died and it wouldnt make a sound, the battery light came on and the oil light came on. (keep in mind my check engine light has been on 2 weeks prior to me breaking down, but got the codes read at auto zone and they said it was just my spark plugs) after sitting there for an hour, i try to start my car again and it starts, i turned around on the driveway and started going home because i don't have aaa and no one could help me out, as i'm driving my thermostat starts to shoot up again, and blowing out cold air. so i turned my hazards on and drove way under the speed limit on the highway doing about 40-45 so it wasn't working my car to hard. 5 mins from my house and i finally broke down and my car hasn't started since. I really messed up big time driving it but i didn't wanna leave it on the highway and had no way to get it back to my house! ),: Please help me figure out what's wrong if possible.

22,455

Sounds like your engine overheated- and you might have overheated it again- it might possibly have a blown head gasket now- and any other damage, I can only guess- you can have a mechanic do a compression test, and tell you for sure- then you can see how much it will cost to get it running again- and if it will just be cheaper to get another $800 car (probably)- and get AAA this time-

35

When your water pump goes out the thermostat does too. The car will run without a thermostat but not for long in the cold weather. Your water pump has a small hole at the bottom. Start the car and look to see if water is coming out. That's what it's there for.. I hope you don't have to replace head gasket. Way to find that out is to check the oil and see if there is water mixed with the oil. Hope this helps

10

Also have them check your Distributor cap and O ring. That happened to me last year. And after several trips to mechanics, it was discovered that my distributor cap, rotor and O ring were bad. My distributor was full of oil. It cost about $360 to have fixed. Hope this helps.