I own a 1971 super beetle with a 1969 engine. It was hit from the rear when i purchase it. After numerous part replacement I was finally able to start it only to find a river of oil flowing out under the shroud. After closer inspection I found the mount where the oil cooler sits had one of the tangs broken off. What suggestions might you have for a repair? My thoughts are to tap the oil holes and place brass flow throu fittings then attach a after market oil cooler to the shroud in front of the fan. How does that sound to you?

Asked by Apr 08, 2012 at 07:11 PM about the 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle

845

run it...crawl under the car...find out where its leakin from. just cuz u mave a broken nut/bolt/screw holding on the oil cooler doesnt mean thats where its leaking from. thats just whats used to mount on the oil cooler. check to see if that bolt/nut/screw is just used to mount the oil cooler or if its spewin outta that disconnection. my guess is that nut/bolt/screw is just used to mount the oil cooler & where its missing that nut/bolt/screw is not mainly connected directly into the motor!?!?!?! also use cat litter to soak up the oil. oil is a perm stain on sidewalks/streets/etc. then ul never be able to detect what leaks come from ur vehicle & are new & which 1's have been there for many yrs...if any.

Thank you REDNECK73 but the situation is that I have already removed the shroud and the oil cooler, it attaches directly to the engine block. With the broken tang there is no way to reattach the oil cooler to the block, and all the oil goes through the cooler. The next problem is when I drag the cats litter box under the car and fill it with oil the darn cat walks around the house with oily feet and leaves his prints on the carpet and everything. But I appericate your answer, thank you.

845

sooo its stripped??? sorry i couldnt help. it would def make a world of dif if i saw what ur talkin about 1st hand so i coulda been more helpful.