I have a 1979 volkwagen superbeetle convertible that every time I drive it I smell gas fumes. My mechanic blew out all the vent lines to the tank and also detected no gas leaks. What can it be?

60

Asked by Nov 21, 2011 at 08:40 PM about the 1979 Volkswagen Super Beetle

My mechanic has looked for gas leaks and blew out all the lines to the gas vapor system right to the charcoal filter.   I dont know what to do next.   The smell is coming from the trunk area where the gas tank is.

145

There may be a vapor line off, or cracked behind the dash on the trunk/sid if the Dash.

165

Right by where the fuel filler neck goes into the tank there is a short vapor hose. Make sure that's not dryrotted.

30

I too have a 1979 volkwagen superbeetle convertible and had a problem with gas fumes. It turned out to be the fuel cap...it was old and the gasket had failed. I know this is a long time after you asked the question but maybe it will help someone else in the future.

10

I need a VW super beetle '79mechanic who knows about electrical system. Darlene. 940 3875329

10

I know this is an old post, but I too need help. My '79 super beetle stinks like gas. Wondering if you found a solution. I have had the fuel injection system gone through and it run so rich you can smell it and then it stalls itself out. Relay replaced, fuel lines cleaned, gas tank cleaned out, hoses replaced, timing checked. Fuel regulator tweeked, not sure where else to look