stalls outEnter your question or topic

45

Asked by Sep 04, 2010 at 10:43 PM about the 1998 Ford Mustang

My 98 mustang  has a problem I start her up and let idle for about 10 minutes and them she stalls out and won't start back up for about a half hour I'm afraid to drive it any were I've tried dry gas and fuel stablizer thinking maybe it could be old gas she sat all winter  can you help.

When was the fuel filter last replaced

45

It hasn't as far as I know it had a tune up back in 07 but I don't,think they changed it. Is it easy to get to?

It sits at the front of the gas tank underneath the car. It costs like $11 and takes about 10 minutes to change.

Make sure you either push the red fuel cutoff in the trunk or disconnect it and run the car til the engine shuts off to relieve gas line pressure

Chances are it will spill some gas because the filter is plugged up with dirt. So be careful and use rags to soak up.the gas when you take the filter off. You'll also notice an increase in performance after you replace the filter

45

Thanks Jeff I'll let you know how I make out.

45

Jeff I just had the fuel filter changed on my mustang and now she won't start at all sprayed some quick start and she started but went right out I was told that there wasn't any fuel presser they think it is the fuel pump I don't understand two days ago it would start and idle for ten or fifteen minutes and now not at all could there be another reason why there is no pressure?

The fuel cut out is disengaged and connected, right? It's the red button in the trunk, probably on the left side.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/motorcraft-fuel-filter-install-video.html 1:18 in and 6:18 in show the part about the fuel cut out.

45

He never disengaged the cut off switch yes its in the trunk on left side the guy put the filter in for me and he didn't even have the keys so I know he didn't use the cut off switch he said the filter was slightly clog but not really bad. Is the fuel pump in the tank?

Yes its I'm tank. They cost like $120 and there is a howto video on americanmuscle.com too