how to tell if it is a awd

Asked by Jul 03, 2008 at 04:06 PM about the 1998 Ford Explorer

I just bought an explorer last night and can't figure out if it is awd or not.. is there a way I can tell

45

A few ways I know are to start with the simple tests. Look on the dash for the drive selector. Does it have a button for 2WD or not. Plus check under the SUV for the front driveshaft. If you are still having problems you could go to a small mudhole or puddle and floor it and see if all 4 wheels pull. Another simple way would be to get the VIN and call Ford Parts dept. and ask them. You can get a lot of info off your VIN.

365

look under the hood. some awd or 4wd vehicles have a warning sticker that says something to the effect of "caution this vehicle is all wheel drive, dont put on two wheel dyno." i know chevy does this but not sure about ford. i think they would because that is their safety from getting sued. sorry if this doesnt help.

45

the simplest way look under the truck in the middle if you see a transfer case its a 4x4

70

Simplest Way if you know what an Axle Shaft is, is to turn the steering wheel to the left, go to the left front wheel and look into it and see if you see a axle shaft going from the Engine/transfer case to the left front spindle/wheel it has boots on both ends. but it should be AWD/4WD. Goodluck!

95

Go to Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com), go to the "research and explore" tab, plug in your model number and it should tell you under the technical specs.

105

its gotta hav a switch or a stick cuz ford dosent make posi trac four wheel drive

795

If your 4-wheel drive selector has an "auto" setting the vehicle is AWD. If the the selector has a 2wd setting, your vehicle is a 4x4. And if you don't have a selector then vehicle is only RWD.

105

well ford explorers aint awd

35

there will also be a sticker or logo for 4x4 on the back

1,315

Eric. Ford Explorers do come in the option of All Wheel Drive. I've drove one before. Some of the ways you can tell, look under the vehicle, see if there is a driveshaft going to the front, or if there is a switch in the dash, or look for a transfer case. It could also be an electronic 4wd like Fords 1980 models Aerostar.

95

Ford explorers do come in awd I have a 04 Eddie Bauer.. there is no switch for 4WD. But in the snow the truck automatically ingauges the AWD system and goes great in snow or mud..

40

To all those who say that Ford Explorers dont have AWD or has to have a stick or switch are completely wrong.I have a 1996 Ford Explorer that is AWD all the time and it evens says so on the truck that it is AWD and also when ordering parts are the different kinds of engines and package.All Explorers AWD are the V8 5.0 engines.I cant believe all yall dont know this.

10

Actually, Everyone is kinda correct but some are wrong, especially the ones that say Ford Explorers aren't All Wheel Drive. Sorry, but Ford Explorer's do have some AWD such as mine. TheTranny had to be rebuilt and I just got it back yesterday. I've had this car for maybe six months. For beginners the Tranny is up front like front wheel drive with, of course CV Joints, then in the rear there is a drive shaft that runs to a gear box and CV joints come out of the box and to the rear wheels, it shocked me. I always thought it was Rear wheel drive, but the tranny guy said this is the second one he has seen like this and its a 2006

I have a 2012 ford explore xlt 4x4 does it have a v8 or v6